Shelf Life

blossomDecember 15, 2003

Hi all! My first post here. I am getting ready to make up my first "test" batch of bath salts, bath teas, and bath fizzies using some recipes from the luxury lane site. I say test batch because I am going to make more to sell at my community Spring festival. A friend told me she thought most of these items have a very short shelf life. Was wondering if anyone could give me any info about it. Thanks!

Blossom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamie_mt

It kinda depends on what you add to them, but salt is a preservative just by itself, so I'd assume bath salts would last for quite a long time depending on what you added to them, and bath fizzies will last well over a year, again, depending on what you put in them (I don't use much of these, so I have them for a long time - that's how I know). Teas would just be dried herbs and ingredients, right? I'd imagine they'd last just as long mixed together as they would in separate containers on your kitchen shelf...

I personally think you'll be fine...best way to be sure is to make up a batch and store them - worst thing that will happen is you'll have to make more right before the show (which will happen if you don't make them early too)! :-)

Bookmark   December 15, 2003 at 4:20PM
kathy_ann

Hi Blossom, I'v e never posted here before , Just found the place. But I've made goatmilk soaps and all the other bath products, for several years now, after a year of getting into the soaps and everything else I made, I decided to get out of the bath bombs, bath salts, etc. I have bath salts. made at least a year ago, they even have goatmilk powder in them, and they have not gone bad, color is still fine. and I also have lots of fizzy bath bombs still left over that are over a year old and are still fizzy. so I know they last a long time.

hope that helps you some.

Bookmark   January 2, 2004 at 1:39AM
Hazel_SC

I make the bath fizzes unscented, & store them in a container. I add scent & package as I need them for shows, orders etc. I just add oil to the back side of the fizzy, let it soak in/dry, then package as usual.

Bath teas I mix up in smaller batches, & store just as a mix till just before I need them, then bag & package.

Hazel

Bookmark   January 2, 2004 at 5:22AM
blossom

Thanks! This helps a lot.

Bookmark   January 7, 2004 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Homemade bubble bath?
I was wondering if anyone has made any homemade bubble...
sandylaine
making candles from old wax?
I am sure many have done this already. Few questions....
bertman_gw
First time candle making, some advice please?
So I'm making candles for Christmas presents this year...
Cashmina
Perfume for fragrance?
Hi there, Would anyone please be able to tell me if...
Littlek18
candle luminaries
I'm attempting to make candle luminaries by pouring...
eventgal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™