flooded basement will a dehumidifier help.

bambroseFebruary 26, 2011

the crawl space basement (60X14) of our second home was flooded when we stopped by this morning. There was about an inch of water throughout. We didnt' really have time to clean it out, but set up the 70 pint dehumidifier that we brought up, and set it up to auto drain into the sump pump.

I was wondering if you guys think that after 2-3 weeks of the dehumidifier running will the basement eventually dry?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Moccasin

How did the water get in?
Was this the first time to happen?
Why did the sump pump not take care of the problem?

There is another forum on GWeb which might be able to give you explicit advice to deal with this issue. In two or three weeks, you could have mold and mildew in the house, and remediating mold is not an easy thing to deal with. I personally think you should get the water out NOW, let the dehumidifier help dry out the whole area, and hope you can find the source of this problem when you return to a (dry) crawl space.

Take a look at the Basement Forum, and ask your question there. Hope you resolve this issue quickly.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 6:10PM
writersblock

Totally agree with moccasin. By the time a dehumidifier can dry up that much water you'll have a serious health hazard from mold. Is this the smelly house from your other thread? If so, I think you've found the probable cause.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 10:58AM
gayle0000

No, a dehumidifier will not dry out a basement, even after extended periods of time.

Dehumidifiers are good when you have water problems corrected and still have damp AIR...not water intrusion or standing water.

Microbials start developing 24-48 hours if water is not dried out.

Spend any money to fix your water problems first. Assess for odors after water is fixed.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 12:02PM
Moccasin

BambRose, like most pains in the derriere, ignoring it won't make it go away. Take action quickly, because many of the homes in New Orleans after Katrina which had water standing for weeks afterward, were rendered uninhabitable by mold. It costs a LOT to remediate such things.

Get rid of the water by any means you can. Soon.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Tiny add on worth it?
My small home has two doors. The secondary door is...
agmss15
ML - your new kitchen (or DR?) light fixture
I think I just saw one like it... somewhat anyway....
desertsteph
Please, please show me your tiny bathroom
I would really like to see anything in the 30 square...
movinginva
Is anyone else having trouble getting on this new Houzz site???
If you're having trouble (which I did) use your email...
lavender_lass
Who has blogs...can we see them?
I know there's some disappointment with the new format,...
lavender_lass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™