Bobbin Problems

katherine_jOctober 23, 2008

I recently bought a basic Singer model (Tradition) to replace an old Singer that had bobbin problems. And what do I have again?? You guessed it. MORE bobbin problems.

I also experienced the thread winding around the post and not my empty bobbin. I had to manually wrap the thread and wind it very very slowly until the thread was on-track. (success, after 10 or 12 tries). Now my problem is halfway through winding my bobbin, the tension becomes uneven and I end up with a bird's nest. This happens despite using a cap to hold the spool in place.

I am so frustrated I am about to return the machine. Before I do, can anyone help with this problem? All suggestions greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
damascusannie

I've been hearing a lot of negative comments about modern Singer machines, especially the lower-priced models. I don't know where your Tradition fits into their line-up, but the word on the street is that Singer machines are simply not the quality product that they once were.

Annie

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 6:10PM
budster

Personally, I would take the machine back and ask them to show you what you are doing wrong, if you are doing anything wrong that is. Some places will not take a machine back.....big box store places. In that case, I would honestly invest in a Side winder - a bobbin winder that is on the market now. Yes, I bought one and I like it - I know you can wind alot of bobbins for the twenty bucks I paid but I figure when I am sewing alot and don't want to keep stopping and rethreading then this machine will do a great job. That is what I would do. Good luck.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 1:27AM
huggybear_2008

I also have a middle priced Singer and I had problems with the bobbin.. one of the girls at work mentioned to me that be sure to thread your thread thru the hole in the bobbin and then place the bobbin on the winder.. see if that will work for you.. it has worked for me.. and I always keep an extra bobbin wounded with thread on it..so I do not have to stop in the middle of sewing to wind up another bobbin.. You may also want to check with whom ever you bought the machine from .. Singer does not make the sewing machine they use to.. If you still have trouble , then I would return and get your money back save up for a little better machine.. I now have three sewing machines so if one does not work I have two to fall back on..LOL
Good Luck
Huggy

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
sewing machine about to die?
I have to admit I have had quite a few problems all...
jjjjade H
bernina activa 131
Hi, There is a Bernina Activa 131 that has come up...
melaniejo
kenmore 12511 machine woth cleaning and keeping?
My daughter has become interested in sewing. I have...
kellim45
Drop feed dogs or cover?
Would not having feed dogs that drop, but instead having...
hobby_libby
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
Sponsored Products
Bobbin Table
$274.99 | Dot & Bo
Large Bobbin Box
$7.99 | zulily
Sunbeam SB1800 Compact Sewing Machine - SB1800
$74.99 | Hayneedle
RION Furniture - Bobbin Pale Stool - GSTOOL134P
Great Furniture Deal
Kenroy Home Lamps Bobbin 2 Pack 29 in. Dark Graphite Table Lamp Set 21070DGR
Home Depot