LOOKING for: My Mom Can't Eat...

pickledillOctober 19, 2008

So my mother has throat cancer. She has difficulty eating and drinking. It hurts her to swallow even her own saliva. I am looking for some soft food recipes and liquid meal recipes. She is about to start chemo and radiation and when she does, I will be in charge of cooking and I am not really the best cook. I know that this is going to be really hard on her and I want to make it as easy on her as possible. Swallowing anything I cook is definitely not easy. She can't have raw fruits or vegetables and she needs foods with a lot of protein and iron. Anything anyone posts will be helpful!! Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jomuir

I hope your mom is doing okay on chemo. This is a slow forum, why don't you try posting this on the Cooking forum, I've seen chemo and diet/eating questions posted there and they were answered more. The Cooking forum is quite busy, I'm sure someone will have advise for you. I'm afraid I don't know anything about chemo, but I wish your mom luck.

Bookmark   November 15, 2008 at 11:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue36

You might want to consider non-meal items as well. Protein drinks and even yogurt. Greek yogurt (Fage and Oikos are two brands) are very high in protein and smooth. I mix in a little Splenda and cinnamon. You could also mix in a little cocoa powder. Isopure Dutch Chocolate is a good protein powder. 210 calories and 50 grams protein. It tastes like chocolate milk, but less "rich". Cream of chicken soup, any creamy soups in fact, might be good. Ricotta cheese is good. You can even heat it in a little dish and put a little spagetti sauce on it if she can tolerate tomato (Hunts has sauce in very small cans). Cottage cheese is good also.

Bookmark   November 28, 2008 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: sodium-free dill pickles
SODIUM FREE-REFRIGERATOR SPICED DILL PICKLES What you...
futurepriest1985
LOOKING for: where'd alba go?!
Back in the day, when I could drink something filling...
chery2
RECIPE: looking for: gluten free cookie recipes (no nuts)
I hope I'm posting this in the right place; I also...
missemerald
LOOKING for: yeast-free and dairy-free bread
I'm allergic to yeast and lactose-intolerant AND I...
Jane
LOOKING for: recipes for after jaw surgery
my brother just had jaw surgery and is on a liquid...
laura198
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™