LOOKING for: Buckwheat waffles?

modjadjeOctober 26, 2003

I have to eliminate wheat from my diet because of the gluten, and read that one can make nice waffles from buckwheat. I have never done anything with buckwheat, not even tasted it. If you are familiar with it, could you try to describe the taste, and tell me if waffles and other baked goods made with it is really tasty as is claimed?

I would also very much appreciate a tried and tested recipe for baked goodies with buckwheat.

I'll be doing a Google search, but have much greater trust in a recipe coming from someone here. Thank you for your time, Delina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bellowbelle

My first post in this forum....

I like the taste of buckwheat, in fact I have some of the flour...should find a way to use it...can't recall why I have it! I think I did make some waffles with it. I know that I've mixed it with various flours when I didn't have enough of the other, with okay results.

Another thing, I'm wondering if you could manage to eat Indian 'wheat' flour, which is Chapati flour. It's WAY less sticky/glutenous. It won't work as a direct substitute in most cases but you could see what you could do with it. Usually only found in an Indian or Asian store, maybe in some health food shops.

Bookmark   April 29, 2004 at 4:19PM
hedgerowglenda

I am also interested in any recipes with buckwheat flour. My husband has restless legs syndrome, and we have found that his legs do not bother him at all if he stays away from gluten. The rice breads just do not hold together. I tried a bread machine loaf the other day with part cukwehat flour and part spelt flour. IT is very heavy and dense, but certainly better than the rice bread. Any recipes with no gluten would be appreciated.
THANKS!

Glenda

Bookmark   August 17, 2004 at 10:35PM
gandbb

I am gluten intolerant and I tried all sorts of baking with alternative flours. None of my results seemed worth the effort. Others I know bake gluten free and like it, so I guess it is a matter of personal taste. Be sure to buy some xanthum gum. About a teaspoon added to an average recipe will improve the result considerably. Substituting about 1/4 cup of tapioca flour for whatever flour you are using will also help.

I was not able to use spelt. Still too much gluten in that for me. I think it depends on the nature of your allergy. I tried buckwheat noodles (the original soba)but found them way too heavy.

Bookmark   August 26, 2004 at 11:37AM
gandbb

I forgot to add that we got a reasonably good waffle using barley flour + the tapioca flour and xanthum gum that I mentioned above.

Bookmark   August 27, 2004 at 7:16PM
Ratherbgardening

Wow, this is a slow moving forum! Still need buckwheat info.? I use it a lot and would suggest the flour made from raw buckwheat for the milder flavor than the roasted groats have.
If you beat egg whites until stiff, you can fold them into the batter to lighten up any recipe.

Bookmark   December 1, 2005 at 2:17AM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: yeast-free and dairy-free bread
I'm allergic to yeast and lactose-intolerant AND I...
Jane
RECIPE: Low Carb Diet
I really need your help. I was told to get on a low...
rabbit8
RECIPE: Vinegar Diet
See I told you I was old....I forgot my question which...
66fat
RECIPE: Lactose free lasagna recipe
Looking for one for my lactose-sensitive son. I have...
jewelisfabulous
RECIPE: bread spread recipe for diabetic
My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes, high...
marricgardens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™