Sewing with chiffon

kathieloOctober 2, 2008

What is the beest method for hemming a chiffon scarf? I've tried pressing then stitching...it was OK. then I tried doing a rolled hem on my serger...it looked ok except the stitches were not even. and the hem seemed to pull. I just followed the directions in my manual because I haven't done a rolled hem on the serger before. I also tried the hemmer foot for my sewing machine. That worked but again the stitches pulled the hem so the scarf is not square.

Anyone have any suggestions to make the scarf look professional? What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
costumegrl

Hi Kathie, this is me, a two thread rolled hem stitch is preferred for fine, lightweight edge finishes on sheer and lightweight fabrics. Adjust your stitch length to 1.5 or 2 mm setting for soft edge finish. Okay, here's how you start: go with a balanced 2-thread overlock stitch before adjusting your tension. Tighten the needle thread tension dial to eliminate "V's" formed by your needle thread on the underneath side of the fabric. Loosen the looper thread tension dial so that the looper thread rolls around the edge to the upper side of your fabric. I can send you pics of samples so you can see what you need to do if "that" or "this" isn't quite right. Later...

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
Singer Inspiration 4210 Feed Dogs do not move
I have a new Singer Inspiration 4210 that I bought...
MaterialGirl47
Cost estimate to shorten two curtains
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have...
vithdude
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
Bernette Serger 334D - a Classic!
I love this serger, bought it used many years ago,...
gramfel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™