New to making soy candles

karen_bNovember 7, 2007

I haven't made candles since I was a teenager and would like to start refilling my own crocks & glass containers. Soy wax, cotton wicks, no scent or color. I was hoping I could get recommendations from experienced candle makers on suppliers of soy wax & what kind works best for large crocks (>75 oz) & glass containers like old Yankee & canning jars.

Also what kind/size & brand cotton wicks do you all recommend along with a source.

I recently had to find a new candle shop to refill my crocks and was taken back from what she charged. I used to pay $10 for an 86 fl oz crock of paraffin to $46 for soy. I didn't pay that much for the crock already filled.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions & recommendations.

Karen in southcentral PA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cheryl_ok

Hi, I started making soy candles this year. Not a pro, but learning alot. I started with a kit from MillCreek Soy Wax Candle Supply. Maybe check them out!
Courious why you don't want any scent?

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 3:21PM
karen_b

I burn candles for the ambiance not the aroma. If I want aroma I'll bake cookies or a pie or something like that. Besides I don't want to inhale the toxins the oils may emit.

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 2:46PM
terri_pacnw

I just posted to you at the Craft forum..

I will reitterate..soy wax burns better when a fragrance oil is added..you'll have to up the wick size actually to burn a non oil scented candle.

And about the toxins...If you buy quality oils, presented by people who work hard at having them created to resale..you get quality products.

Most people that have trouble with burning candles, actually have trouble with the "gas"(I don't know what the technical term is. LOL) given off by paraffin burning, not the oil that fragrances them.

I have an asthmatic that purchases only my soy candles, because she can't be around any others without an attack happening.

And if you want ambiance, with no scent the cheapest way to get that isn't soy, but palm steric acid.And paper wicks are best for that "wax". Which you can buy at candle supply places..it's an additive used with paraffin wax to "stregthen" the wax to make stronger molded candles like pillars and such.

Hmm which gives me the thought that maybe you should look at palm waxes, or palm based waxes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Candle-wic

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 10:14PM
Lurielle

Hi, I really could use a little help. Has anyone made a soy candle in a large foil container? I wanted to know if this is practical, cheaper, and feasible? I ask because I want to start making them for myself, and my family. And I'm trying to learn about the containers before I get started. I appreciate all responses, and I thank you.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Hot process soap is soft
It's a beautiful soap but it is soft just out of the...
jbander
Candle ignites. "Ooops!" batch question.
I wanted to make a larger batch of candles and apparently...
HVC2014
No throw soy candles - FRUSTRATED!
I've gone out and bought all of the correct equipment...
milehighcc
FO's and EO's suppliers that you love?
Hi, I make glycerin soaps for gifts and sell a few....
reneea
wax fruit
Hi! New here. I am new to candle making, and I was...
basil45
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™