Help decorating small bedroom

kmillianFebruary 1, 2011

My daughter's bedroom is extremely small 9x11, I am looking for creative tips to maximize her space! She is too old for a bunk bed...too bad because using the under space for a desk or reading area would have worked.

I saw one idea I though ingenious, building a surround platform - something like a table which the bed slides under during the day. The top of the platform is accessed by steps & can be used for a seating or a desk area.

All ideas will be very much appreciated!

Kristina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Shades_of_idaho

The bedroom in link below was 13 by 9. I took the picture from the doorway. To my left on the short wall were two dressers. That is a full size bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small bedroom

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 3:36AM
Shades_of_idaho

I meant to add what shows in the picture of that room would have been about 9 by 11.

This is my sewing room guest room now with full size futon opened up and if it were a twin there would be lots of space for a desk or small play space. This room is also 9 by 13. I use it 95% of the time for my sewing room. I have a fold up table that fits against my sewing table/desk.

Pictures of her room would really help to get an idea where the doors and windows are for furniture placement.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Another small room

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 3:42AM
Moccasin

Yes, I'd like to see the room drawn out with the placement of doors, windows, closets. Hopefully, you'll have one of the 9 foot walls available to place a SINGLE TWIN BED in the middle, and build in shelves and storage around it all the way to the ceiling. This could remove the need for a chest or dresser, which would use a lot of floor space. And there might be room for a small desk/vanity with a comfy adjustable office chair in white leather that could provide some good seating. A few floating shelves situated above shoulder height can give nice display space too. If there is no pets in the house to trash a fuzzy sheepskin rug, then that would be a nice luxurious touch. Maybe a little bit of sheer curtains on the window, and if the bed headboard has to be located in front of the window, then make that sheer also work as a gauzy mosquito net for your princess. I love those skeeter nets. Very romantic.

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 9:53PM
Moccasin

On HOUZZ, I found the link below, which has the space above a closet or, in this case, the room entry door to make open cubby storage.

I'm assuming that there is a hallway outside, and that about 12-14 inches of ceiling height is stolen to be used in the rooms on either side of the hallway. I had not thought about that space. Nice if you have a longer hallway, or maybe above the closet totally inside the bedroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: High Up Open Storage

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 12:51PM
fdemartino

This is the bed we have in our very small 2nd bedroom. We also designed a wall unit that goes with it. Both from Ikea. Great storage, under the bed and wall unit. The bed is twin, but pulls out to king size. We have a small pedestal table in the corner for computer/homework. Hope this helps.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30080316

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 7:48PM
Shades_of_idaho

Just getting to this post. ML that link you posted is a good one. If you type in storage in the search box on that page it brings up many other good ideas too.

Also the one you posted to brings up a HUGE storage space possibility for our house in hall above the master door. Would be easy to do but would have to have a door. No big deal. Would be perfect for blanket and large light bulky things.

The same for my studio room. Neither would compromise the open feel to the rooms.

Thanks!!

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 8:42PM
movinginva

I know you said that she was too old for a bunk bed, but what about a loft bed. Take a look at this one from Pottery Barn's PBTeen website. It has a full sized bed with lots of storage, desk etc.

http://www.pbteen.com/products/girls-sleep-and-study-loft/?pkey=cgirls-beds-headboards

Here is a link that might be useful: PBTeen

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 3:02PM
More Discussions
How many square feet is your "small home"
My house is 859sf. It has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, but...
tlbean2004
Let's have tea!!! :)
I do not know if there's a Conversations side or not....but...
lavender_lass
Family of 5 into 1500 sq ft
Hello! I thought I'd introduce myself since I've been...
pinkpanther5
This "makeover" is too bad to continue with. Too bad.....
" I agree with Paul8511 "going elsewhere...
pyreneesparent
Please, please show me your tiny bathroom
I would really like to see anything in the 30 square...
movinginva
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™