Pocket door, but not enough wall...

questionerFebruary 28, 2008

There are a couple places in our house where a pocket door would be great, but there's not quite enough wall space for the pocket. I was thinking if the door could be vertically slatted, perhaps it could bend around a corner? I've seen it done in cabinetry, but can't find anything for wall doors. Has anyone ever done/seen this? Will we have to re-invent the wheel?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

I think you'd have to be very skilled and very knowledgable to do that one, plus it would likely interfere with in-wall structures like studs, electrics, etc. Not a job for a DIY person for sure. BUT, what about (depending on your entryway) 2 'half' doors coming from either side and meeting in the middle?

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 6:26PM
questioner

That may be a possibility. But, i should also mention that these would be on non-load bearing walls and we are building new, so have the ability to duct and wire around these doors.

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 11:10AM
lucy

It's just that I foresee huge problems down the road... the doors you're thinking about are NOT the nice easily rollable ones on a breadbox, or even an old roll top desk. If you run into sticking problems for instance at some point, will you have to take down the walls to fix them?

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 3:44PM
neesie

I've had a pocket door that's been stuck for over a decade! (It's straight). Hubby says the wall would have to come down for him to fix the tract so I can see that never happening. It is a wall that seperates different sections of our master bath. I'd say give up the dream and go for practicality.

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 10:19AM
questioner

yes, it was just an idea i thought i'd throw out. but i'm quite agreed, it's not practical, really, and we made room for regular doors, so it's not much of an issue anymore, thank goodness.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Tiny House Forum?
I like this forum- but I sometimes think that we could...
angiepangie
Artistry of home construction
When MamaGoose explained the concept of the Construction...
Moccasin
I've lost interest in this project
The decorating forum said I needed a colored carpet...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Help for me coming soon...
My family and friends have been praying for that all...
desertsteph
Tiny add on worth it?
My small home has two doors. The secondary door is...
agmss15
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™