Patchwork curtain, assembling???

Claire_WOctober 13, 2012

Hi Sewing people!

I have 72 10" squares of Moda fabric and I'm going to make a pair of curtains, each to be 6 squares by 6 squares.

I have the squares arranged with the grain going fom top to bottom, but I've not started sewing them together yet, because of this question:

If I piece the squares in strips of 6 and then join the strips together (the simplest way to work this, I think) should I have the strips going vertically or horizontally?

I can't decide which way would hang better, and any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dowlinggram

If there is no preference for pattern go with the stablest part of the square going verticle. The length is going to carry the weight. Stretch Pull gently on your squares and see which side has the most stretch. The most stretch goes across and the least stretch goes down.
I think your way of sewing them is the way I'd do it. I hope you are going to line the curtains so the seams can't be seen.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 7:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

Yes the weight of the fabric will be down so you want the squares strongest in that direction. Sew the squares together horizontally and then do the vertical seams in one long run so the strength of the single line of stitching will be strongest.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
Upper Thread will not pick up Bobbin Thread.
Hi, I have a Brother XL3100 and the upper thread will...
sweetnlow
bernina activa 131
Hi, There is a Bernina Activa 131 that has come up...
melaniejo
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
Sponsored Products
Waverly Felicite Window Peek-A-Boo Valance with Framework Indigo trim Multicolor
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Arlee Home Fashions Kirby Geometric Quilted Blackout Grommet Panel Pair - 29-414
$38.99 | Hayneedle
Set of Two Metallique Turret Finials
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Schonbek Refrax Wave Crystal Pendant
Lamps Plus
Crystal Wave Ten Light Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus
Each 108"L Zenith Curtain
$69.90 | Horchow
Each 54" x 84" Paramount Curtain
$100.00 | Horchow
New Orleans Iron Finial