Can I make candles without special eqipment?

cathleen_ni_houlihanOctober 9, 2011

I love beeswax and I've been saving the leftover wax from my spent candles. I now have quite a bit of wax, and I would like to recycle it into some new candles. Can anyone advise me about the simplest and cheapest way to make candles out of leftover wax?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sara-s

The simplest do is to make container candles. You will be needing jars, wicks, a candle thermometer and a pot for melting the wax. You may also want some scent & color. You really can't do with less equipment than this.

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 2:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sprout_wi

Cathleen- I made my first candles last week. I purchased 6" wicks on Amazon that had a litle metal base on them and I hot glued those into a teacup. I melted the old candles down in an old mr. coffee carafe, which I placed in a pan of water and simmered until the wax melted. I had a couple pieces of a pink and purple candle (someone told me you can use small pieces of crayon?) and melted those in for color. When the wax reached the right temp, I added a half ounce of scent - about $2.79 a for 2-ounce bottle - mail order. Stir well and pour into the teacup. When it cools, there will be a big dent in the center, so save a little wax to reheat and add to fill the hole. I ended up making about a dozen candles in vintage teacups and saucers for sale in a craft boutique. Check online for specific directions and sources. Good luck.
-Sprout

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
FO similar to Yankee Candle Yankee True Rose
I absolutely love the "discontinued" fragrance...
monica33flowers
Candle newbie - problems topping off
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the candle making hobby, but...
mrbranden
soy candle wicking issues
I started making soy candles a few months ago. I am...
lorieru
Candle ignites. "Ooops!" batch question.
I wanted to make a larger batch of candles and apparently...
HVC2014
Catalytic Effusion Lamp
Anyone know what these are? I have just bought one...
leearnold
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™