LOOKING for: Qs about butter substitute for low-fat baking

GinaAugust 2, 2001

I saw on tv that you can make low-fat muffins etc. by using applesauce instead of butter. My questions are -

How much butter do you typically replace with applesauce - all of it, half of it? Can you do this with most baked goods like cake etc.?

Will the recipe become too dry with the applesauce, and if so, how do I adjust to make it more moist?

One last question - does it taste the same or nearly the same as when made with butter?

Thanks very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grtusabook_aol_com

Gina -- I use the same amount of applesauce as the oil, butter, or margarine the recipe calls for, and it works well. Instead of being DRY, the cake/bread is SPONGIER than the oil version. Here's what i did with a PUMPKIN BARS recipe:
subbed applesauce for oil [1 c.]
subbed sweet 'n low for sugar [2c.]
used only the whites of 4 eggs

Did not add the optional nuts or raisins. Did not frost it. Baked it in loaf pan. It is WONDERFUL. My whole family loves it. Gotta make some more.
Original recipe follows w/ original ingred., which i made for SIL's birthday in pyrex dish. Believe it or not, I PREFER the sugarless version!

PUMPKIN RAISIN BARS

2 c. all-purp flour
1/2 t. salt, ditto cloves
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
2 t. baking powder
4 eggs
1 t. baking soda
15-oz can [2 c.] pumpkin
1 t. CINNAMON
1/2 c. nuts
1/2 c. raisins
1 t. NUTMEG

I probably increased the spices -- i like Allspice -- but made subs as i told you for the bad stuff.
GOOD LUCK!
chery-va

Bookmark   August 6, 2001 at 11:29AM
Jane_1

Thanks a lot, Chery. Can't wait to try your recipe - it sounds scrumptious, and right up my husband's alley (for whose sake I wanted to know about low-fat baking).

Bookmark   August 9, 2001 at 10:37AM
dances_in_garden

For chocolate recipes I use pureed prunes (baby food, actually LOL). Apples or applesauce tasted funny with the chocolate. You can also used mashed banana's, applesauce, apricots, etc. You can also soak raisins until they are plump and soft (may need to heat the water) and puree in a blender until very smooth.

Keep in mind the finished product may be sweeter, denser, brown faster, and may not rise as high.

Bookmark   August 23, 2001 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: substitutes to use in place of eggs in baking
Use any ONE of the following recipes to substitute...
Filus
LOOKING for: where'd alba go?!
Back in the day, when I could drink something filling...
chery2
LOOKING for: dialysis
Please if anyone can help. My Hubby has to be on dialysis...
springer_mom
RECIPE: Lactose free lasagna recipe
Looking for one for my lactose-sensitive son. I have...
jewelisfabulous
RECIPE: Boulder Canyon Hummus/Sesame Chips
Looking for the big bag! Gluten free. NOT the 5oz size....
ilmbg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™