2 more questions-scent & suspension

itsmeAugust 19, 2005

OK, now that I've made some M & P, I have two more questions:

1. How do you judge how much scent to put in? My daughter and I are experimenting with different combinations of base, scent, additives, etc, so we're basically making one bar at a time. Even the recipe books seem to vary widely on the drops. I bought the little pipettes, but still not sure on the amount and I've heard too much can ruin your base. However, I want smelly soap-so is there a standard recommendation to start with?

2. When you are trying to suspend additives in a non suspension base, I have been letting the soap cool down a lot and stir until just before I pour it in. However, when I do that, then it doesn't all pour pretty, the top ends up looking really rough and uneven. What's the trick to getting a nice looking bar and still having everything suspended nicely?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sriston

The normal fragrance oil usage is one tablespoon per pound of base. Three tablespoons is about one ounce. Depending upon the "heaviness" of the fragrance, I sometimes use a little more, sometimes a little less. If you use too much fragrance oil in the base, it won't want to mix in well. However, I have, at times, really doped my base up and not encountered problems. I think a lot of it just depends on the fragrance oil; some fragrance oils seem to be much oilier and heavier than others. If I am making a single, four ounce bar of soap, I will use 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of fragrance oil in it. As for the suspension, that is tricky and is mostly something that just takes practise. Even as long as I have been doing it, sometimes mine comes out perfect and sometimes it doesn't. You are pouring yours too cool- that's why the top is lumpy, it is setting up too fast. I pour mine when it looks like homemade gravy. To get a nice, bubble-free top layer, after you have poured the soap, spray it with a little alcohol (just regular rubbing alcohol). I have a little bitty spray bottle that once upon a time was a car air freshener, and I have alcohol in that. The alcohol gets rid of all of the little bubbles that form when you pour the soap.
Susan

Bookmark   August 20, 2005 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
FO similar to Yankee Candle Yankee True Rose
I absolutely love the "discontinued" fragrance...
monica33flowers
Removing soda ash from homemade soap
I have been making cold process soap for about 4 years...
bsnyder
Mega melter
I am selling my Mega Melter. I used to sell at shows...
Beth1803
No throw soy candles - FRUSTRATED!
I've gone out and bought all of the correct equipment...
milehighcc
First time candle making, some advice please?
So I'm making candles for Christmas presents this year...
Cashmina
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™