making lined curtains but fabric is stretching

julescapOctober 10, 2013

I am really excited about the awesome curtain panels I am sewing out of painters drop clothes. They are looking like the Belgian Linen curtains in Restoration Hardware for a fraction of the price!. I have to line them(my first time lining anything)but the top fabric is looser weave and is stretching big time. I pulled out my walking foot and after getting reacquainted with it, I ripped out and started again. The walking foot alleviates about 90% of the problem,but layers are still feeding a little unevenly . Any suggestions to get that last 10%?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

You do realize that painters cloth will more than likely shrink and wrinkle badly if and when you wash it ,don't you??
Since you're already using your roller foot,i don't know what else will solve the problem,but if you have an even feed foot,similar to roller,try that.
kathi

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 5:48PM
julescap

Thanks for that tip about the shrinking and wrinkling. I have already washed and dried the canvas and the linings. They actually came out much better easier to deal with than I was anticipating. I didn't dry 100% in the dryer,just put it on the "less dry" setting. I don't have a roller foot. but I'm dealing with it with my walking foot which I think may be the same thing as the even feed foot

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 5:14PM
Annie Deighnaugh

If I'm dealing with a very stretchy fabric, I will sometimes do a multiple stitch zig zag over just the fabric itself first to help stabilize it, and then stitch it to the other fabric.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 10:28PM
julescap

@Annie: Do you mean a dble zigzag? What stitch length do you use? Thanks... I may try this this w/e

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 9:37PM
Annie Deighnaugh

It looks like this

I use whatever I think will give the fabric enough support...start with the default and see how it goes.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
pls help, Brother needle bar question
Hi There, I bet this will be an easy fix for one of...
amandalynn
Cost estimate to shorten two curtains
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have...
vithdude
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™