Mason Jar Oil Lamps..help!!

mje769August 23, 2005

I want to make oil lamps using mason jars but I am confused to what kind of oil to use. It says to use lamp oil, is this kerosene? What kind of wicks do you use?? The instructions I have says to use pre-assembled wick and ball. I found these online and they come in different lengths, what length would you use for a pint jar? Sorry about all the questions, newbie here. LOL!

Any of your ideas will be very much appreciated!!

Thanks so much..

Marsha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sriston

The lamp oil that is being referred to is the same oil that you would buy at Wal-Mart or the Dollar Store to refill oil lamps. As for the wick length, as long as it is not too short you won't have to worry. I think most wicks are about 12 inches long. Most replacement wicks and even the ball assembly can be purchased at the local hardware store or Wal-Mart. These are the same things that you would use in creating a Mason Jar lamp.
Susan

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 9:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cheri_C

Marsha, When you use the lamp oil make sure it is ultra-pure. It cost more, but it is smokeless and odorless. I get my wicks at Hobby Lobby. That's the only place in my area I have found them. My wicks are 5" long with the glass holder. They do have some that are longer. The ones I buy are .99. I have made a lot of these for gifts. I like making fall ones. I've used Pottpouri, small pine cones, chunks of corn, fall leaves, small plastic gourds and rose hips. Then I tie homespun material arond the lid and add a rusty star, pumpkin, or heart with some rusty wire.
Good Luck,
Cheri

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
Where to get pretty soap labels?
Hi, I was wondering where I could get some pretty soap...
sillymesillyne
soy candles
Has anyone used coconut oil in soy candles? I read...
busyhummingbird68
making candles from old wax?
I am sure many have done this already. Few questions....
bertman_gw
Candle newbie - problems topping off
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the candle making hobby, but...
mrbranden
Can I make soap using lotion?
Does anyone know if I can use hand lotion to make soap?...
maisienell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™