RECIPE: looking for fat free salad dressing

KimGaJuly 7, 2002

Isn't there a such thing as fat free ranch dressing that actually taste good?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salena

MMMMMMM, good question. Read the ingredients on the 'ranch' bottle and try to come up with no-fat substitutes. There are all sorts of no/lo fat mayos and cream cheeses. If you come up with one, please share!!

Bookmark   July 11, 2002 at 5:11PM
jasper_austin

here's a thing called "Basic Low-fat Cream-Style Dressing"

1/4 cup part skim ricotta
3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 t lemon juice
1/2 clove garlic, grated
1 T minced fresh parsley
1 T minced fresh chives
S&P

process the cheese in food processor til smooth, and yogurt, lemon juice and garlic and blend again. stir in herbs.

This is from Diana Shaw's "Almost Vegetarian."

variations are suggested in her book. probably you could ranch this up a little- fat free buttermilk for some or all of the yogurt, chopped dill instead of chives, a little minced onion, maybe

Bookmark   July 12, 2002 at 6:40PM
mary_md7

Personally, I have never found a fat free salad dressing that I thought was really good. My local grocery chain has a FF honey mustard that isn't too bad, but the FF ranch leaves much to be desired. If you like salsa, try using a 1/4 cup on a large salad as your dressing, and top with a tbsp or two of FF sour cream.

Bookmark   October 1, 2002 at 1:15PM
kathleen_li

I like the Raspberry Vinaigrette by Maple Grove Farms of Vermont. Wishbone used to make a good fat free Honey Mustard, but I can only find the JUST 2 Honey Mustard now and I don't care for it.

Bookmark   October 5, 2002 at 4:22PM
salena

I make sort of an imitation honey mustard dressing that is lo/no fat. To lo/no fat mayonnaise add spicy mustard (equal parts)I use Guldens brand, but Wal-Mart has the same mustard only cheaper..... Add white vinegar to thin and sugar substitute to sweeten, to taste. Thats it! It's great as a sandwich spred and veggie dip and a dip for sausages. I have added thick drained salsa for a spicer taste. Thats good too!

SAlena

Bookmark   October 6, 2002 at 8:47AM
Terrapots

A simple no fat dressing I've used is tomato sauce with a little vinegar, salt, pepper, Italian spices or spices of your choice and a little bit of sugar or artificial sweetener. I found the tomato sauce or tomato juice is a good basis to add flavorings to to spruce up your salads so they are not dry.

Bookmark   September 16, 2003 at 12:42AM
kdbern

I use fresh lemon juice and salt and pepper. It tastes great and here in the south there is always lemon for tea when you are eating out.

Bookmark   November 8, 2003 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: article in either womans world or first magazine
You were required to eat 1200 calories with several...
wishingsoon
LOOKING for: dialysis
Please if anyone can help. My Hubby has to be on dialysis...
springer_mom
RECIPE: Lactose free lasagna recipe
Looking for one for my lactose-sensitive son. I have...
jewelisfabulous
RECIPE: Apple Cidar Vinegar Diet
I'm posting this again since weekly I get tons and...
hagar_ONT
LOOKING for: where'd alba go?!
Back in the day, when I could drink something filling...
chery2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™