LOOKING for: diabetic cakes/breads never rise

JillJuly 9, 2001

My father-in-law is a diabetic and I like to make desserts for him. Every time I bake with sugar substitute, it never seems to rise and/or comes out very dry. I am getting very aggravated with all the recipes I've tried. Does anyone have any recipes for diabetics that are tried, true and you won't choke on from dryness? Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jellicles

Jill I found out this the hard way as well! Ruined a couple of my favourite recipes using a sugar substitute. Sure would like a way around it as well. Any ideas?

Bookmark   July 14, 2001 at 4:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nelson65_msu_edu

My FIL is a diabetic also. What the dietican told him was to watch his carbohydrates, drink diet soda. He can eat just about anything as long as he watches the proportions. The only ice cream he can really have is the Eskimo Pie stick which has Nutrasweet, and it is only 13 carbohydrates. You might want to go to the following website, www.cooksrecipes.com. Click on diabetic recipes. There a about 4 or 5 categories to pick from. Also, I have used Sweet & Low for a couple of deserts. They too have a website. How about giving him sugar-free jello and pudding as a change. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   July 24, 2001 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Lactose free lasagna recipe
Looking for one for my lactose-sensitive son. I have...
jewelisfabulous
looking for: acid reflux/heartburn
I was just diagnosed with Acid Reflux. Is there a special...
cherryfizz
looking for: GF 'wheat belly' recipes-heart/diabetes/adhd/autism
William Davis, author of Wheat Belly, is a cardiologist...
frugalwallflower
LOOKING for: where'd alba go?!
Back in the day, when I could drink something filling...
chery2
LOOKING for: article in either womans world or first magazine
You were required to eat 1200 calories with several...
wishingsoon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™