LOOKING for: What is your favorite diabetic snack or...

gailsmith_99June 16, 2002

something fairly easy you can buy from the store to eat, whether it is fruit (name your favorite(s) or an easy recipe (1-3 ingredients). I'm trying to get ideas for very busy people that have to buy/prepare for diabetics, also to get ideas of what works for other diabetics. TIA gail smith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

My husband likes bananas, strawberries, and candy containing Splenda--hard to find. As far as diets, he has found that regular diets seem to work better for him as opposed to so called dietic diets. He tries to limit his nutra sweet intake as this seems to make his blood sugar go UP. He uses Spenda in drinks, coffee, tea, kool aid etc. We watch calories and find many candies, cookies, cakes have less calories than dietetic ones. Angel Food cake is good. Hope this helps you. If you want more info let me know
Marie

Bookmark   June 21, 2002 at 5:54PM
cathyid

Angel food cake with crushed strawberries sweetened with Splenda if they are a little tart. I also love grilled fruit. We gill quite a bit so I make a few extras when the grill is going. I especially like papaya grilled also make fresh fruit and yoghurt smooties but you have to keep them small. Just a few raisins or a fig makes me happy. LOL

Bookmark   August 26, 2002 at 5:46PM
LifeIsSweet

Don't forget salty snacks like popcorn, nachos, pickles... As for sweets, I'm just as "bad" as anyone else who doesn't have diabetes. In fact, having diabetes seems to make me crave sweets more than I ever did before (I was diagnosed with type 1 at age 23, not overweight)!

Soon after I was diagnosed with diabetes, I remember reading that once-in-a-blue-moon, for a very special occasion, I could have a SMALL slice of birthday/wedding cake IF I was careful to scrape all the icing off!!! Forget that!

Instead of following a "diabetic" diet, I just try to eat healthy. I prefer a good cheesecake-bite or brownie to any special diabetic snack. The trick is just not to eat too much. But I feel better, more satisfied, with a truly sinful delicious cookie than with a funny-tasting larger snack. Besides, I simply rearrange my carb-intake for the day (all carbs turn to sugar eventually) or even adjust my insulin-dose, or take a longer walk to make up for the extra carb.

But, as for your quest, Jell-o is good, sometimes. Yogurt with all-fruit jam (or granola) stirred in, cheese & crackers, veges w/ranch dressing, PB on graham cracker, beef jerkey... Protein helps stabilize blood sugars.

Remember that Fruit, though healthier than processed sugar, is still Sugar! Good luck in compiling more ideas - I'd like to hear them as well. : ) Holly

Bookmark   September 15, 2002 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Apple Cidar Vinegar Diet
I'm posting this again since weekly I get tons and...
hagar_ONT
RECIPE: bread spread recipe for diabetic
My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes, high...
marricgardens
LOOKING for: Yeast Free Breads (Pita bread, flatbreads, etc.)
I'm allergic to yeast and am looking for recipes for...
Tammy Conolly
RECIPE: sodium-free dill pickles
SODIUM FREE-REFRIGERATOR SPICED DILL PICKLES What you...
futurepriest1985
LOOKING for: Looking for Hunza Bread recipe
If anyone has a copy of this recipe, could you please...
Jacira
Sponsored Products
Lush Decor Venetian 4-Piece White Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Decorative Red and Black Sunflower Cushion Cover
Overstock.com
Valencia 57707 Multi-Color Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$499.00 | Bellacor
Indoor Area Rug: 125/60 Melange Collection, brown, olive green, red and black, a
Home Depot
Illumine Lamps 30.5 in. Dark Bronze Table Lamp CLI-LS450825
Home Depot
Gray Maher Rug
$49.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Pickstitch Matelassé Coverlet
Serena & Lily
Plaza Mahogany Bronze Mini Pendant
$268.20 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™