LOOKING for: Honey & Diabetics

goldenbuckeyeJune 28, 2008

Anyone know where I can find good info on this subject or do you have any good recipes to share using honey for diabetic cooking.

Thank in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yborgal

Just curious about why you're using honey in diabetic recipes. It's not a sugar substitute and is considered a sugar with high carbs.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 8:04PM
goldenbuckeye

Monablair,
I'm not cooking with it yet but would like to find info regarding diabetics using honey. I would still like recipes for cooking with honey. I'm not a diabetic.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 1:05AM
yborgal

Oh, I was under the impression you thought that honey would be an acceptable sweetner when cooking for diabetics. It isn't. Sometimes people think that because it's a "natural" sweetner it's allowed on a diabetic diet; it's not. In fact, whenever my DH goes out to eat we ask if the menu item has sugar in it. If he's told it has no sugar, then he asks specifically if it's made with honey. You'd be surprised how many times we find that it does indeed have honey in the recipe. And that makes it off limits for a diabetic.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 9:52AM
grainlady_ks

I'd suggest using agave nectar for diabetics instead of honey. Agave nectar is an extremely low-glycemic, natural, honey-like sweetener that's appropriate for most diabetics to use. It's sweeter than sugar, so you need much less to make things sweet. It works well in recipes that call for honey. I tend to reduce the amount, but I don't like really sweet things.

I've used this as our primary sweetener in cooking and baking for about 10 years.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 8:47AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

My DH is diabetic, and I have heard of Agave nectar, and grainlady has convinced me that this is the way to go! Ewww those ignorant health food stores mostly recommend Stevia! Nothing Worse!

I do have an Agave plant and am hoping for a bloom some day so I can get my nectar fresh, but there are many places on the web that sell it.

I intend to bite the bullet and get some! Thanks for your post grainlady!!

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 1:30PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

OK. I did buy Agave Nectar. It is sticky like syrup, and tastes just like real sugar! No aftertaste or any taste that would be similar to honey or syrup. I LOVE it! Been using it in my hot herb tea, and it's great!!

Bookmark   January 5, 2009 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Looking for Hunza Bread recipe
If anyone has a copy of this recipe, could you please...
Jacira
RECIPE: Boulder Canyon Hummus/Sesame Chips
Looking for the big bag! Gluten free. NOT the 5oz size....
ilmbg
RECIPE: Tyramine free diet
does anyone know of any tyramine free recipes, been...
cass
LOOKING for: Under 100 calerie snacks
Do you have any great recipes for under 100 caleries?...
uniqcrafts2000
LOOKING for: article in either womans world or first magazine
You were required to eat 1200 calories with several...
wishingsoon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™