LOOKING for: Smoothie Recipes-Fruit Juice to Sweeten?

rob333June 10, 2003

Anyone know a good smoothie recipe that uses fruit, yogurt and ice (no Splenda, Aspartame, honey, etc.)?

I never eat breakfast because I can't find anything I like that doesn't take an extra hour to make. I like the new fruit smoothie things on the market, but they are full of sugar. One brand has 50g of sugar! I feel terrible after all that sugar, but I think I if I modified them, it would be a good thing for me.

If I could find a recipe that used fruit to sweeten them, I could eat more often and speed up my metabolism and be less likely to eat the vending machine junk.

Please help? Thanks!

-Robin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sylvia

Can you tolerate fruit juice? I often make smoothies with apple or orange juice as part of the liquid. For fruit I usually use frozen strawberries and bananas, then also some yogurt.

Bookmark   June 30, 2003 at 5:30PM
roselin32

Would you consider using fructose? It is a natural sugar, you use much less than table sugar and there is no aftertaste. Or apple juice concentrate. Either in small amounts should give you the sweetness that you want.
RL

Bookmark   July 1, 2003 at 10:45AM
Pashan

My 11 year old daughter had to have her mouth wired shut for a month after a car accident. We made lots of smoothies and the one we liked the best was just this:

Orange juice
frozen Strawberries
frozen Bananas

We peeled the bananas and froze them whole and bought pre-frozen strawberries. You could add yogurt if you wanted to.

~P

Bookmark   February 4, 2004 at 9:24AM
alexis717_df

I always freeze fresh bananas, strawberries and blackberries. In addition to the recipes listed I like frozen blackberries and diluted cranberry juice. I find if I use regular strength it is a little to overpowering. I dilute with a few ice cubes, into which I've frozen blackberries. But I still put more blackberries in.

I also like to freeze left over coffee in icecycle trays to make my own granditas. Try this sometime with not only frozen coffee but a few of those frozen blackberry ice cubes. Yum

Alexis

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 1:52PM
quinney

I put any very ripe bananas in the freezer for just such a time as this. any combination of banana, blueberries, strawberries-(any berry), (actually any fruit you like), add a cup of flavored or unflavored yogurt in a blender for a few seconds makes a great smoothie. The frozen banana takes the place of ice and it becomes nice and thick.

I suppose I would not use any melons because of the consistancy!!

I also really enjoy putting 3 tablespoons steelecut (uncooked) oatmeal in a container of yogurt-any flavor- let it set overnight, and eat for breakfast. It's chewy enough to be satisfying and so yummy.-provides good fiber, too.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 1:58PM
shambo

Bump

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: honey, oil & vinegar
I used to take a mixture of honey, oil and apple cider...
Robin Beaumont
LOOKING for: where'd alba go?!
Back in the day, when I could drink something filling...
chery2
RECIPE: bread spread recipe for diabetic
My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes, high...
marricgardens
RECIPE: Lactose free lasagna recipe
Looking for one for my lactose-sensitive son. I have...
jewelisfabulous
RECIPE: Apple Cidar Vinegar Diet
I'm posting this again since weekly I get tons and...
hagar_ONT
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™