wax myrtle ... wax

bigeasyjockJuly 8, 2005

I have lots of wax myrtle growing on the land in Ms. and want to try to make wax from the berries. I've seen info on some sites but wonder if any one has any first hand experience out there????

The wax produced it supposed to be of a very high quality and I do know its expensive in its pure form!!!!

Thanks Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sriston

I have never heard of wax myrtle. Another resouce you might want to try may be one of the gardening forums here. Sorry I can't be of any help, perhaps someone else will come along. I just didn't want you to think no one read your post.
Susan

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 12:46AM
bigeasyjock

Thanks Susan for the holler ;o).
Wax myrtle is Myrica cerifera.
I have read articles where the early settlers would use the wax of the berries to make candles and have seen this wax for sale somewhere on the web and it wasn't cheap. I would like to make this wax for my own use and again while I've seen directions for doing so on the web I would like to hear someone say, "Yep I've done this and it works." 'Course at that point I would pick their brains for details and ideas of use ;o)
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Wax myrtle

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 6:05PM
sriston

It sounds interesting. I hope you find the information you are looking for! Good luck with your quest for information.
Susan

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 7:27AM
montecosmo

I make candles (paraffin, soy & palm wax) and wanted to make my own bayberry wax but the myrtles do not grow in my area. I did however find this site when I was doing my research. It gives instructions on making your own myrtle candles.

HTH,
Monte

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Bayberry Candles

Bookmark   July 15, 2005 at 1:17PM
bigeasyjock

Thanks Monte. Thats exactly what I was a needin'. :o) Now I just must be watchful for berries! ;o)
Mike

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 2:49PM
sriston

I am learning something- so, Bayberry comes from Myrtles? Bayberry is one of my favorite candle fragrances; I never thought about what Bayberry actually was.
Susan

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 7:55AM
persiancat_gardener

I have heard of using wax myrtle. But....it takes a lot
of berries to make it worth your time. I have a friend that used it and found it was very labor intensive for the yield you get....

Bookmark   November 25, 2006 at 6:58PM
tae_love_hotmail_com

Wax myrtle in the south, bayberry in the north, and I think california wax myrtle in the west. They're also called tallow trees, wax trees, candleberries... haven't made them, though if I can find enough berries this fall/winter I plan on it. I believe it takes something like 4 lbs of berries for 1 lb of wax.

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Food coloring for candles?
If I choose to make candles again, since I sold my...
LibbyLiz
making candles from old wax?
I am sure many have done this already. Few questions....
bertman_gw
Homemade bubble bath?
I was wondering if anyone has made any homemade bubble...
sandylaine
soy candles
Has anyone used coconut oil in soy candles? I read...
busyhummingbird68
FO's and EO's suppliers that you love?
Hi, I make glycerin soaps for gifts and sell a few....
reneea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™