Label 'wraps' for soap bars...help please!

iracountrygirlJuly 17, 2003

I have decided to make soap for gifts. I was given some bars once that had about a two inch wide heavy paper label that wrapped around the middle of the bar and then the ends folded one over the other. An inch or so of each end was uncovered. The "glue" that was used felt like the re-stick it kind like post-it notes use. The labels were almost torn looking along the edge. Their printing was very nice too. I would love to be able to come up with something professional looking like they did so if I had time I could sell the soap too.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Connie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hazel_SC

I don't know exactly HOW they were done, but my guess is that it's similar to the candy bar wrappers they talk aboout in the craft forum.

As to the torn edges, it may be a type of paper cutting scissor or they may have used a natural paper & really torn the edge.

Remember if you are ging to sell your soap it should be labeled with the ingredients.
(If it's hand made from lye/oils it's NOT required that it be labeled, but it lets your customers know you are concerned about them. If it's melt & pour glycerin soap, it DOES have to be labeled, because by FDA guidelines that is NOT a true "soap" since it is made of multiple artificial ingredients)

Okay, off my soapbox now.
Best of luck with your soap!

Hazel

Bookmark   July 17, 2003 at 12:54PM
iracountrygirl

Hazel-
Thank you for the information. I'll check out the candybar wrappers in the craft forum.

I had no idea you had to list the ingredients with the melt and pour soaps. They aren't what I'm interested in anyway but still it's nice to know. You can climb on a soapbox with me anytime!

Thanks again!
Connie

Bookmark   July 18, 2003 at 9:20AM
CraftyGirl75

Connie-

I'd use Rubber cement as your glue. It dries nearly instantly, and it's easy to use. You just dab a little on each side, allow to dry, and then stick the two together.

Instead of a torn edge effect how about a burned edge? Jagged cut the edges of your paper and then you can hold the paper edges over a heat source until they brown.

Heather

Bookmark   July 21, 2003 at 3:15PM
iracountrygirl

Thanks everyone! I found what I was after...cigar band labels with the "how to" set up instructions. The edges may have been made with deckle scissors. I sure am learning a bunch before I even start trying to learn to make soap.

Thanks again!
Connie

Bookmark   July 22, 2003 at 10:37AM
sriston

Connie,
Where did you find the cigar band labels? I have been wrestling with label design, too!
Susan

Bookmark   July 24, 2003 at 8:32AM
CraftyGirl75

Susan - Do you have Microsoft Publisher? I have Cigar bands set up on that and it was really easy. If you have that program I will e-mail you the file. I get five per page and I print them on natural colored paper. They have the ingredients on them also. They are easy to modify for each type of soap you have. I just use a little rubber cement to seal them around the soap.

LMK
Heather

Bookmark   July 24, 2003 at 9:00AM
iracountrygirl

Susan- Just in case you or anyone else needs this info I'll add a link for the cigar band label instruction page. It was really easy to do but I'll need to tweak mine a little. I found it at teachsoap.com in their faq's.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Cigar band labels

Bookmark   July 24, 2003 at 12:59PM
sriston

Thank you, Connie!
Susan

Bookmark   July 25, 2003 at 9:36AM
sriston

Crafty Girl,
Thanks for the offer but I don't have Microsoft Publisher.
Susan

Bookmark   July 27, 2003 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
FO similar to Yankee Candle Yankee True Rose
I absolutely love the "discontinued" fragrance...
monica33flowers
Removing soda ash from homemade soap
I have been making cold process soap for about 4 years...
bsnyder
New pouring/melting pot discoloration
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and candle making. I...
BeHappy1
Candle ignites. "Ooops!" batch question.
I wanted to make a larger batch of candles and apparently...
HVC2014
Help with Candle making Please
Hi I'm new to candle making and I had bought a candle...
Bullyscents
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™