LOOKING for: Where to get dairy-free chocolate?

debbieMay 21, 2001

My son is allergic to dairy. I have seen recipes that call for dairy-free chocolate but can't find it at my local supermarket. Is this a specialty item, where can I buy it (eg. health food store)? Also, what companies make it (eg. Hershey's?) - prehaps I can phone them and ask for a store near me. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darlene87_tacomaclick_net

you did not say what type cholate, drinking, cooking, baking, or eating. A good substitue tis carob, which is a powder, or sold as bars for cooking, and eating. Also in the health isle of our grocery is chocolate rice milk and chocolate soy milk which I find are quite tasty. Send me an email, and I can do some further searching in my special catalogs. Darlene

Bookmark   May 23, 2001 at 6:31PM
Kaji

I don't know if you are still looking for the special chocolate, but most dark chocolate is dairy-free, especially the ones with a high cocoa content. Read the label carefully before you buy it though, because it might still have milk solids in it. There IS chocolate without milk - I eat it myself. My favourite is diabetic dark chocolate sweetened with fructose. It's expensive, but very nice. You can even get dairy-free soychocolate, but I found that pretty horrible stuff and not worth having.

Good luck!

Karen

Bookmark   September 22, 2001 at 3:12AM
publickman

Trader Joes' Dark Chocolate or Bittersweet Chocolate are both lactose free. My favorite chocolate is Valrhona "Le Noir Amer", which is 71% cacao (Dark bittersweet chocolate). Always read labels, as advised above.

Lars

Bookmark   January 9, 2004 at 7:01PM
JessyFeldm_speakeasy

Aha! Here is how you can search for a product type where you know there will be no milk products: look for kosher labels that say 'pareve'. That word means by rabbinical supervision there will be no milk, butter or anything from an udder in there. 'D' or 'dairy' will mean it could be possible. Passover is coming, so the stores will have kosher chocolate of both types - then again, they won't have corn syrups in them either. Long story.

Bookmark   February 12, 2004 at 3:46PM
publickman

It's good to buy crackers that are "pareve" also, to be sure they do not have dairy.

Bookmark   February 27, 2004 at 5:37PM
Noturningback

Ghirardelli's semi-sweet chips and their 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips (formerly Double Chocolate)

ALSO

Lindt Excellence 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate

Ingredients: Chocolate, sugar (non-bone char refined), cocoa butter, vanilla

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 6:52PM
Noturningback

UPDATE:

I apoligize but it appears that Ghiradelli change the name and formulations of some of the chips. The 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate cips has DAIRY now. However, Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet chocolate chips does not have dairy in them (possible trace amounts).

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 4:24PM
annameyerson_hotmail_com

I can not find a milk free chocolate for my son who has milk allergy. Even the dark chocolates like Ghirardelli and Lindt are processed on the equipment with milk, so it has traces of milk, which you do not want for the allergy sufferer.

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 11:10AM
green_lilypad_hotmail_com

My son loves Enjoy Life chocolate bars. They are free of many allergens including dairy. They are pretty good too. You can go to their website and it will tell you where you can find them and also some coupons. My son is lactose intolerant but milk still makes him very sick. These are great. Luna bars are also dairy free but contain nuts. Feel free to email me if you'd like.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 7:15PM
hollysybesma_Mac_com

Rice Dreams make excellent dairy free chocolate bars.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Vinegar Diet
See I told you I was old....I forgot my question which...
66fat
RECIPE: Apple Cidar Vinegar Diet
I'm posting this again since weekly I get tons and...
hagar_ONT
looking for: acid reflux/heartburn
I was just diagnosed with Acid Reflux. Is there a special...
cherryfizz
LOOKING for: recipes for after jaw surgery
my brother just had jaw surgery and is on a liquid...
laura198
RECIPE: looking for: gluten free cookie recipes (no nuts)
I hope I'm posting this in the right place; I also...
missemerald
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™