Crock pot

button20July 13, 2010

Hello I am new to soap making, and I want to try MP rather than HP and CP,however, I recently bought MP goats milk base and was wondering if I could use a crock pot instead of the microwave or a double boiler to melt it? also I was wondering if it is possible to use the crock pot, what temp should the crock pot be on and how long do you thing a 1lb of GM base will take to melt, before I can add the additives?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sara-s

I know that it is OK to use an electric melter, because I use one. What I use is a Presto Pot, because it has a real temperature dial (not just low/medium/high.) I set the temperature to about 200 degrees Fahrenheit. It's not a good idea to go higher than that, because MP soap can boil out of the pot at around the boiling point of water.

BTW, you can also buy a Presto Pot that has been fitted with a spigot on the bottom, to get the soap out easily. Just do a web search fro "Presto Pot melter". A lot of sites call them wax melters, but they work fine for MP soap too.

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 9:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brent

I don't do M&P, but don't add the scent (if you're using some) if the M&P is too hot, you'll burn it off.

Maybe someone who does this regularly will pipe in with some tips.

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
candle luminaries
I'm attempting to make candle luminaries by pouring...
eventgal
Catalytic Effusion Lamp
Anyone know what these are? I have just bought one...
leearnold
soy candles
Has anyone used coconut oil in soy candles? I read...
busyhummingbird68
soy candle wicking issues
I started making soy candles a few months ago. I am...
lorieru
Candle newbie - problems topping off
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the candle making hobby, but...
mrbranden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™