Candle scent longevity?

LibbyLizJune 23, 2005

On average how long do you think a store-bought candle's scent lasts?

I've had votives & tealights for approximately a year, some a little less & some a little more & worry that I'll have to throw a bunch out soon, & most of them aren't cheap brands (Yankee & Colonial at Home, for instance).

I haven't been burning them much since moving last June from Arkansas to Utah. Most of the time when I do my husband goes around & blows them out! He hasn't done this in a long time & I've told him many times before to stop. I swear he's ADD! At least he's stopped marking the wax with his fingernails or whatever he's holding.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sriston

A good candle will not lose its fragrance. It (the candle color) may fade, but the fragrance is an oil and oil will not evaporate from the wax. Exposure to sunlight seems to do the most damage to fragrance. I have had some candles that were three years old and when I finally lit them, they still had a wonderful fragrance. Cheap candles are a different matter. For one, the heaviest concentration of fragrance is in the top overpour. The rest of the candle is very lightly scented. That's why a cheap candle might smell terrific in the store, but when you get it home and after you have burned it for a bit, it will have nearly no fragrance. (I have a friend who works in a candle factory and that's how they do it.) It has been my experience with cheap (i.e. Dollar Store, some Wal-Mart candles, etc.) candles that after sitting for a few months they do lose their fragrance. But, they are not made with high quality, concentrated oils to begin with. Anyway, don't throw them out- they should still be good!
Susan

Bookmark   June 23, 2005 at 10:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LibbyLiz

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 12:24AM
More Discussions
Perfume for fragrance?
Hi there, Would anyone please be able to tell me if...
Littlek18
FO's and EO's suppliers that you love?
Hi, I make glycerin soaps for gifts and sell a few....
reneea
Where to get pretty soap labels?
Hi, I was wondering where I could get some pretty soap...
sillymesillyne
Rating the Suppliers
I am new to soapmaking. I have ordered from three of...
itsme
Removing soda ash from homemade soap
I have been making cold process soap for about 4 years...
bsnyder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™