LOOKING for: Protein Powders

hillcresthoneyMay 9, 2008

I have been reading about making Smoothies with different protein powders added to the list of ingredients. I am interested in this, but there seems to be a lot of choices and I don't know which is which. Any body trying this?

Thanks for the info!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

Whey has the highest Biological Value (BV) of all protein foods (100-150). That means your body absorbs more of it than other protein foods. Second on the list is eggs - 100 (whole eggs have a higher BV than egg whites). I'd suggest Goatein or Goatein IG (by Garden of Life), or a whey-based one. I'd also pick one with the least amount of ingredients - not a bunch of chemicals, flavorings and sweeteners.

I prefer whole foods, not fractured chemical-laden powders, so I make smoothies everyday at home for breakfast using whey-rich homemade kefir (made with REAL kefir grains, not the boxed powdered stuff), fruit and/or 100% fruit juice, some flaxmeal and a powdered supplement we take.

Using homemade kefir (a whole food) is cheaper than protein powders. Unless you are into body-building or something, most people get more than enough protein in their diets from the foods they eat.

I also drain the whey (a liquid) off the kefir curd and use the whey for making "whey lemonade". Lots of benefits from using fermented dairy foods.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Apple Cidar Vinegar Diet
I'm posting this again since weekly I get tons and...
hagar_ONT
RECIPE: cooking/baking with xylitol
Unfortunately, I like sweet things- dessert type. I...
ilmbg
RECIPE: Vinegar Diet
See I told you I was old....I forgot my question which...
66fat
RECIPE: Nepro supplement for renal patients.
This was given to us from our local Renal Dietitian...
celtic_willow
RECIPE: substitutes to use in place of eggs in baking
Use any ONE of the following recipes to substitute...
Filus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™