LOOKING for: Macaroni salad with mashed chick peas

teri2April 7, 2003

Not certain if it was on this board but I'm trying to locate a fairly recent post about using mashed chick peas as a substitute for tuna in tuna/macaroni salad. Anyone else see it?

Teri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dances_in_garden

I am not sure which post you mean, but I have used chick peas as a "yolk" substitute in deviled eggs, and egg salad (made with the whites only and the chick peas).

If I will be using them in the blender, I leave the skins on. If not, I slip the peels off because I don't like the texture in these things.

So, I slip the skins off, and if they are nice and soft I use as is. If not I simmer in some water for a bit to soften. Some brands of canned chick peas are "harder" than others, I have found. Drain, cool, and mash. Or put through a ricer, or mouli, food processor, etc.

I found that when mixed with mayo type dressings, it really looks and has the texture and creaminess of yolks.

Bookmark   April 9, 2003 at 4:27PM
teri2

I hadn't heard about using them as a yolk substitute. So you're replacing the yolk why? the fat? And then do you also use fat-free dressing? I'm afraid that would nix it for me. I don't even like low-fat mayo.

I sometimes use mashed chick peas in a macaroni salad that is OK, but not wonderful. But I thought I saw someone post a recipe using chick peas mixed with - applesauce maybe?

Teri

Bookmark   April 10, 2003 at 1:36PM
dances_in_garden

Basically to get the creamy texture and yellow colour that a hard cooked yolk provides, with less fat and cholesterol. I use "light" mayonaise or salad dressing due to personal preference, but not fat free (which is sweet white vinegar jello to me). I also think that chickpeas have a sort of creamy aftertaste that suggest fat where there isn't any. I can use a little less mayo because of that.

I have a father that wants to eat 12 deviled eggs but shouldn't due to heart considerations and sugar problems. By replacing all or some of the yolk I feel better when he sneaks the 12 he wants to eat ;)

Bookmark   April 23, 2003 at 2:00PM
teri2

Well, I haven't found the macroni salad recipe but I did come up with a really good chick pea sandwich spread that I found at allrecipes.com, submitted by Carole.

Mock Tuna Salad

1-19 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and mashed
2 T. mayonnaise
2 t. spicy mustard
1 T. sweet pickle relish
2 green onions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium bowl, combine garbanzo beans, mayonnaise, mustard, relish, chopped green onions, salt and pepper. Mix well.

Teri's notes: I mashed the beans in the Cuisinart until creamy. Used about twice as much green onion. This makes a great sandwich spread with lettuce and a little more mayo on toast. Try not to expect tuna; it's not. But it's a wonderful sandwich spread.

Bookmark   April 23, 2003 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Nepro supplement for renal patients.
This was given to us from our local Renal Dietitian...
celtic_willow
LOOKING for: Looking for Hunza Bread recipe
If anyone has a copy of this recipe, could you please...
Jacira
looking for: acid reflux/heartburn
I was just diagnosed with Acid Reflux. Is there a special...
cherryfizz
LOOKING for: Under 100 calerie snacks
Do you have any great recipes for under 100 caleries?...
uniqcrafts2000
recipe: plz help with cooking for picky skin cancer patient
I am new to this forum & just happened to see this...
whatagem123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™