RE: Hey Ronniner

tina_2May 24, 2006

Hey Ronniner )

Posted by tina_2 (My Page) on Wed, May 24, 06 at 21:26

Thanks for your advice. I am going to try it. Here's what I was first told to do with the rebatch - use a crockpot to slow melt the rebatch & add 1-cup of whole milk, stirring every 15- min.This took 2-hours. Then add scent & color. I did all that. But, somewhere it went wrong. I will try adding some little chunks of it " it's really soft>- into another plain batch, I have & see what happens. Again - I thank you for the advice - I truly appreciate it! Tina_2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brent

I am going to try it. Here's what I was first told to do with the rebatch - use a crockpot to slow melt the rebatch & add 1-cup
of whole milk, stirring every 15- min.This took 2-hours. Then add scent & color. I did all that. But, somewhere it went wrong. I will try adding some little
chunks of it " it's really soft>- into another plain batch, I have & see what happens.

Hi Tina,

I wouldn't recommend to add milk this way to a soap recipe, but this is just me.

It is far easier to add powdered milk of (any kind) by adding it into the oils in the beginning.

Rebatching is a bit of an art all by itself.
Here are some general guidelines for rebatching in a crockpot.

If the soap is relatively new, less than a couple of weeks, shred it and add an ounce of water or so to the bottom of the crockpot. This will sort of steam the shredded soap above it.
If the soap is older, IE months, the spritz the night before and let it sit so the water can be absorbed into the shredded soap.

Then, add more water by the tablespoon as you see fit. The more plieable the soap the smoother the outcome, but the more water you add the more shrinkage will occur, the art is in the balancing how much water to add.

Also, you can add soap chuncks to the freshly melted soap (general guideline) up to 50% of the melted recipe. For X, if you melt 4 pounds of soap, then you can easily add 2 more pounds of chuncked or confettied soap to this rebatch.

You will always cook off a good part of the original scent out of the rebatch, so add more scent; I would probably guess another 50% of the amount you added to the original recipe. Add the scent after the soap has cooled but still pliable to get it into the mold, so you don't burn off the scent.

This whole rebatch method will take at least a couple of hours depending on how much soap you have in the pot.

If you are determined to add milk in a rebatch, then make a paste of the milk and try adding it. Added milk will darken your soap, so don't be too concerned with the colour outcome until much later in the game.

Adding milk in the original recipe you will definately get more into the soap.

With GM powder I will add 1 1/2 tbsp per pound of oils and stick blend it in.

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
soy wax tarts
Has anyone had problems with there wax tarts being...
busyhummingbird68
FO similar to Yankee Candle Yankee True Rose
I absolutely love the "discontinued" fragrance...
monica33flowers
Where to get pretty soap labels?
Hi, I was wondering where I could get some pretty soap...
sillymesillyne
Can I make soap using lotion?
Does anyone know if I can use hand lotion to make soap?...
maisienell
Candle ignites. "Ooops!" batch question.
I wanted to make a larger batch of candles and apparently...
HVC2014
Sponsored Products
Emsco Cape Cod Garden Border Section - 18 Pack - 2120DS
$34.99 | Hayneedle
InnerSpace 4.5 in. RV Camper Cool Gel Memory Foam Mattress - RVGEL-3880
$399.99 | Hayneedle
Grace Outdoor Loveseat Cover
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
Wizard of Oz Dessert Plate - Set of Four
$19.99 | zulily
ELK Lighting Trier 14072/5 Chandelier - Aged Bronze - 23W in. - 14072/5
$418.00 | Hayneedle