Newbie with candle questions

indianaplantloverMay 12, 2009

A couple of probably dumb questions. I buy tons of candles. I don't burn them I put them on the candle melter things since it seems safer. Is there anything I can do with all the candles I have after they have lost their scent?

Next question. If I want to make candles to just put on the burners, so without wicks, what would be the easiest way to do it. I spend a small fortune on candles so I might as well invest the money and make it a hobby and be able to make the scents I love but sometimes can't find. Thank you in advance. Vicci

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
simplemary

Do you have a local craft/hobby store nearby? A lot of these stores now carry soy wax-- it's cleaner & isn't a pain in the butt to work with.

All you have to do is heat the wax (most are microwavable or can be done on the stove top in a double boiler), add the scent (also obtainable at craft stores) at a rate of 1 oz scent to 1 # wax & pour into a heat-resistant container. Let it "cure" for a few days, then use in your warmer. Obviously, if you're not going to light it, you don't need a wick.

If you think you're going to go through LOTS of scent, here are a few sites I've found have good results for the price:(search them as I don't have exact names) Gelluminations, Cajuns Candles, Save on Scents, and Candles & Supplies. I think all of them also sell soy wax, but it's heavy & you have to take into account shipping costs if you can't find it locally.

Good luck

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 10:42PM
sara-s

If you make your candles out of soy wax, you can re-use the wax after it has lost its scent. You can re-melt and re-scent it or mix it with a carrier oil & plant butter (such has jojoba oil & shea butter) to make lotion bars.

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 8:50AM
simplemary

If you make body bars out of candle soy, make sure that your fragrance oil is body safe! Not all of them are.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 11:10AM
sara-s

Good point simplemary. Thanks for adding that. Many Fragrance oils are good for candles and body products, but you do need to read the labels.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
soy candle wicking issues
I started making soy candles a few months ago. I am...
lorieru
Perfume for fragrance?
Hi there, Would anyone please be able to tell me if...
Littlek18
Help with Candle making Please
Hi I'm new to candle making and I had bought a candle...
Bullyscents
Food coloring for candles?
If I choose to make candles again, since I sold my...
LibbyLiz
FO's and EO's suppliers that you love?
Hi, I make glycerin soaps for gifts and sell a few....
reneea
Sponsored Products
Marina 3 in 1 Guppy Trap - 10933
$20.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Suction Cups for Thermometers - 2 pk. - 11212
$16.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Multi-Tool - 11012
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Marina 75 Air Pump - 11112
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Net Trap (Fine Mesh) - 10934
$20.99 | Hayneedle