RECIPE: Gout - Food Restrictions?

annie1971March 5, 2008

My husband's friend is coming to visit and has suffered with gout in is little toe, which I guess is extremely painful and debilitating. He has told me in the past that any amount of protein, whether it be soy protein or meat, chicken or dairy, is a problem. Now that he's coming to visit, however, he says that he can eat anything -- no restrictions! I'm baffled by this and want to make sure that I don't cook something that will cause a flair-up.

Can anyone provide more insight with respect to gout and food limitations? Really don't want to take him to the airport in a wheel chair!

Thanks for any cooking help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marge727

Maybe he went to the doctor and received treatment or learned he doesn't have gout. The list of things that he says caused gout is a little longer than the things that actually cause gout. All of the items he listed don't have uric acid. Also gout is usually not associated with the little toe, but rather the big toe, ankle, joints, etc. I suppose its possible, but maybe he is taking the medicine. I would be surprised if you would be serving him anchovies, liver, kidneys, broccoli and some of the major items that cause it anyhow.
some people lately have complained that drinking a lot of REd Bull can bring on gout. I don't know.

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Under 100 calerie snacks
Do you have any great recipes for under 100 caleries?...
uniqcrafts2000
LOOKING for: sodium in canned foods
My DH has recently been diagnosed a diabetic and he...
marricgardens
LOOKING for: article in either womans world or first magazine
You were required to eat 1200 calories with several...
wishingsoon
LOOKING for: recipes for after jaw surgery
my brother just had jaw surgery and is on a liquid...
laura198
RECIPE: bread spread recipe for diabetic
My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes, high...
marricgardens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™