question about making candles

just1morehostaMay 11, 2011

Hi,my name is Carol,please don;t think this is a silly question, I really want to know,Can I make a poured candle from bees wax?I do not want tappers,I would like to do jar candles, using beeswax.

Any one done this?

Thank you,Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sara-s

I am not sure. Beeswax has a high melting temperature, so if you are not careful, you could crack a jar. Also, it doesn't hold scent as well as other waxes. I like to blend it with soy wax, to get a longer burn.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 5:06PM
Txdream70

Can someone give me a good recipie to follow for good smalling soy candles. And, what all items i would need to make them. And, where to buy them.

TY,
Kim

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 5:32AM
sara-s

CandleScience.com is a good starting point. They have wax, containers, fragrance oils and wicks. They also have a lot of info on their site.

Some general advice. Buy small containers of some fragrances you like and test them. Every manufacturer is different and a scent you like may or may not work well in a candle. Measuring and temperature are important.

Most fragrance oils work well at one ounce per pound of wax. I like to add scent when the wax is at 170-180 degrees F, and pour at about 110 degrees F, for soy wax.

Soy is my favorite for container candles, because it holds scent well and cleans up well.

Here is a link that might be useful: CandleScience

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 6:31AM
More Discussions
Can I make soap using lotion?
Does anyone know if I can use hand lotion to make soap?...
maisienell
Why does my soy candle turn color during burn?
I am wondering if I am doing something wrong in the...
HVC2014
Catalytic Effusion Lamp
Anyone know what these are? I have just bought one...
leearnold
Removing soda ash from homemade soap
I have been making cold process soap for about 4 years...
bsnyder
Adhesion problems when making candles
Ive tried all the different things that I have read...
BGlowik
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™