Headboard Help

cleanfreak29July 19, 2014

I live in a very small studio condo. The bed is in a loft and behind the head of the bed is a large, 40" high by 68" wide cubby hole used for extra storage. I'm trying to think of designs to build a headboard to cover the hole; the headboard would also need to act as a door to grant access into the storage space.

My BF was thinking two plain wooden doors with large hinges.. but I don't want it to look like an old barn door. I much prefer the idea of a tufted headboard but am a little worried about it looking strange with a separation down the middle (where the doors would meet).

What are your favorite headboard styles? Anyone have a unique idea that would help me out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PhoneLady

Does it have to be divided? How about a tufted headboard that can just be lifted and set aside for the occassional times you need to access the space behind?

Can you post a picture?

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 3:02PM
PhoneLady

This looks interesting

http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2013/07/diy-tufted-headboard-tutorial.html

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 3:05PM
Fun2BHere

I agree with PhoneLady. Why not have your headboard held against the wall by the weight of your bed without actually attaching it to the bed. Then, you could pull the bed out slightly and push the headboard aside to access the cubby. I use a standard metal frame for my mattress with an unattached headboard with no problem.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:42PM
shadylady2u

Do a search for "french cleats". You can make them or buy them readymade. Just lift your tufted headboard on and off, easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: French Cleats How to make

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 11:59AM
cleanfreak29

I love that link, phonelady. At first I was thinking it would have to be divided, but since we don't use that cubby space often, it probably could stay as one large piece to be lifted off when necessary. I'm going to try to build something this weekend. I will post the results!

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 8:43AM
PhoneLady

Good luck!!!!

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
Help me style my living room!
I have no idea what to pair with this tan couch. I...
homestyles2
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
Help with foyer
I need ideas on how to use or decorate this space....
knowll423
No Windows in the Dining Room
My dining room has 2 large wall with no windows and...
aloha2009
Does your decor match your wardrobe?
In different places I see suggestions to start with...
laughablemoments
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™