Candle making - Soy Wax vs. Paraffin?

sazzy1April 24, 2008

I just started a new hobby "candle making " and trying to learn about the different waxes. I been reading so much about how Soy is so much better then paraffin - burns cooler, cleaner,longer...... etc. BUT to my SURPRISE I just found out that "Party Lites Candles" are 100% PARAFFIN and my opinion P L are still the best candles ever made. I have not seen a candle yet that burns "cleaner and longer" They virtually leave no residue. I love them, I just wish they were higher scented.

Anyhow how come so many people are saying soy burns longer and cleaner? NO WAY! Maybe cleaner for "the environment" I can believe that. And I'm convinced that P L is still the most selling candle there is and yet it is Paraffin.....

So far I have poured 3 batches of candles ( 3 different types of Soy) with poor results :-( I know it's a lot of trial and error - but I think the next batch I'll try paraffin!

7 hours ago - 3 days left to answer.

Report It

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sportsmom12

I don't think I have an answer because I am just starting to make candles for a hobby too. I haven't had very good luck with ones that really throw a scent. Any tips you could provide would be great. I bought soy wax and used 1 oz fragrence per 1 lb. Heated it to 175, added fragrence, let it cool to sbout 120 and then poured. It smells good when you stick your nose next to it- but doesn't smell at all when you burn it.

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 7:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deborahfay

Hello, I read your post and use to buy & sell Party Lite candles. I stopped using them when I found out that Party Light candles are not all made here in the USA which we did not like since we had no knowledge of the quality of the materials used in making their candles. We agree, Party Lite had a nice scent throw but the soot is far too much for our liking. We couldnt help wonder what it was doing to our lungs. So to find a healthier alternitive to burning candles, Many years ago, I became interested in making my own candles. I have sold them in my own retail locations for years. I have made all sort of candles using many types of waxes. Overall (next to beeswax) we prefer soy wax. There is no dispute that soy wax is a much cleaner wax to burn. We have had great results from our soy candles and our customers come back for more. We found that measuring our fragrances by weight, not by volume gave us a better scent throw. We also found that buying a higher quality of fragrance oil also worked well for us. At times, depending on the fragrance, we have used 1.5 ounces (by weight) of fragrance oil per pound of wax. Keep in mind, wax is like a sponge and can only hold so much fragrance oil. Too much oil and you can get the opposit effect and have a poor scent throw. It is important to mix the fragrance oils very well to make sure they bind to the wax. Without aggitating, we mix ours for about two minutes. Hope this is helpful.
Debbie

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 6:59AM
More Discussions
New pouring/melting pot discoloration
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and candle making. I...
BeHappy1
Candle ignites. "Ooops!" batch question.
I wanted to make a larger batch of candles and apparently...
HVC2014
Removing soda ash from homemade soap
I have been making cold process soap for about 4 years...
bsnyder
Candle newbie - problems topping off
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the candle making hobby, but...
mrbranden
Mega melter
I am selling my Mega Melter. I used to sell at shows...
Beth1803
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™