Salve & Solid Lotion Bar

yatyatApril 9, 2006

Hi there,

Could someone be so kind to explain the difference between the salve and solid lotion bar? besides your oil and beeswax, what else would you put in it to achieve the texture?

i want to try putting some oil together but not sure which one of the 2 I should make and how i should make them... i found some recipes for both on the web and here but the ingredients seem similar (oil and beeswax) so i am not sure if they are the same thing.

thanks in advance.

kay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terri_pacnw

Salves are a softer texture. You'd use more oils in it.

Which ever one you want to make. I use butters and oils and beeswax in my lotion bars.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 12:43AM
cajungardener

For what its worth, when I think of a salve, which does have a softer texture, I think of something with herbal healing qualities, whereas a lotion bar, while it is harder would be used primarily for skin softening. I use lavender essential oil, and tea tree essential oil and calendula comfrey infused oils to make my salves.

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 3:32PM
terri_pacnw

Yes, I'd have to agree, salves usually "seem to mean" healing.

Bookmark   May 10, 2006 at 3:38PM
yatyat

thank you terri and cajungardener, thats exactly the information i was looking for. i want to do a healing product with infused oil (calendula, comfrey and other herbs) but not sure whether to do it as a salve or lotion bar, now i know :)

another question for cajungardener, when you infuse your herbs in oil for salve, do you do them individually or just mixed individually infused oil? i am thinking of infusing the herbs together to make this salve unless there is disadvantage to it. if i do it separately, i will probably end up with a significant amount of oil ... i am planning on using olive oil (promace grade) to infuse herbs with for its long shelf life, are there better options?

thanks,
kay

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 12:14AM
More Discussions
Can I make soap using lotion?
Does anyone know if I can use hand lotion to make soap?...
maisienell
Adhesion problems when making candles
Ive tried all the different things that I have read...
BGlowik
Candle newbie - problems topping off
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the candle making hobby, but...
mrbranden
Rating the Suppliers
I am new to soapmaking. I have ordered from three of...
itsme
No throw soy candles - FRUSTRATED!
I've gone out and bought all of the correct equipment...
milehighcc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™