What EO and/or FO hold well in CP soap?

debikmApril 5, 2003

This has always been a problem of mine. How do you get the scent to stay as strong as when you first make the soap? Maybe I'm not putting enough FO in, not holding my mouth right, whatever! But, what do you do to make you scents hold?

Curious,

Debi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
basilmom

How much are you using? I've heard 1t per pound of oils is good, but then again it depends on the EO. I failed miserably with citrus until the last batch where I added equal parts litsea.

Bookmark   April 5, 2003 at 9:44AM
Hazel_SC

When I made my CP I was using 1-2 oz of frargrance oil/batch of CP. Depends on the quality of the oil. EO's don't require that much. (batch making about 28 4 oz bars)

Hazel

Bookmark   April 5, 2003 at 4:21PM
debikm

Okay, now I've ordered a bunch of EO's, so hopefully I'll start getting some holding power. I have some FO's left, maybe I should use them in smaller batches. I got a bunch of samples from TWFC a couple of years ago and only one or two have held any scent when I used them. Probably not enough for the amount of oils I was using.
We'll see what happens...
Thanks,
Debi

Bookmark   April 5, 2003 at 7:31PM
Brent

Hello (my first post here), citrus EOs are notorious for not staying in CP soap, the addition of litsea cubeba helps, but I would recommend a 5x or 10x o any citrus. These are formulated to be much stronger ( think that Recommend 1 oz. per pound of oils (ppo). Oregon Trail has these, in Oregon). Citrus EOs hold up much better in M&P, due to no lye being present, , but I have never made these myself.
Spice EOs hold up quite well and lasts for a very long time; recommend .3 to .5 oz/per pound of soaping oils.
hth

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Help with Candle making Please
Hi I'm new to candle making and I had bought a candle...
Bullyscents
Perfume for fragrance?
Hi there, Would anyone please be able to tell me if...
Littlek18
Rating the Suppliers
I am new to soapmaking. I have ordered from three of...
itsme
Why does my soy candle turn color during burn?
I am wondering if I am doing something wrong in the...
HVC2014
Removing soda ash from homemade soap
I have been making cold process soap for about 4 years...
bsnyder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™