Ty-dyed soap?

sristonApril 10, 2003

Hazel sent the most beautifully colored soap in my swap package. Hazel, you said it was "ty-dyed". How do you do this coloring effect? My husband and I are just crazy about how it looks, and we have never seen that particular coloring technique.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hazel_SC

Susan,
I'm not sure if I'm doing it "right", but what I do is melt the soap, & scent it, then pour in the mold. For the bar I sent you, I used 2 drops each of wine & tourquoise (LOTP dyes) dropped randomly on top (bottom, techinically) of the poured soap, & used a toothpick to swirl the colors, lightly.
They seem to migrate to the edges slightly, then sort of sink in a straight line toward the bottom (top) of the bar, then disperse out. As they sit the colors bleed into each other. If I feel too much color has migrated to the edge of the soap I will swirl a bit more, but I try to not "stir" too much as it seems to muddy up the color.

The first few I did I didn't like because they looked "wrong" but as they sat & the colors started bleeding it looked ok. I don't know how the ty-dyed effect will last over time, inother words, how it would look in say 3-4 months, but for at least 6 weeks the patchouli rasberry has held up looking good. I think eventualy it may "bleed" into a dark purple, but that's ok.......

Hazel

Bookmark   April 10, 2003 at 1:17PM
CraftyGirl75

I've done them like that too Hazel - with LOTP color. Yeah - they'll look good for a few months, but eventually it'll blend into one solid color. Looks so neat while it lasts though!

Heather

Bookmark   April 10, 2003 at 2:48PM
sriston

Thanks for the answers. I am going to give it a try. If mine looks half as impressive as Hazel's, I'll be thrilled! By the way, Hazel, you have me hooked (until I find another fragrance I like better) on Southern Belle. I did order it, and I made several bars just for myself! That fragrance really lingers on my skin- more so than other fragrances I have used. I know that this is because of my particular body chemistry- like perfume.
Susan

Bookmark   April 11, 2003 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Where to get pretty soap labels?
Hi, I was wondering where I could get some pretty soap...
sillymesillyne
Candle ignites. "Ooops!" batch question.
I wanted to make a larger batch of candles and apparently...
HVC2014
First time candle making, some advice please?
So I'm making candles for Christmas presents this year...
Cashmina
soy wax tarts
Has anyone had problems with there wax tarts being...
busyhummingbird68
Adhesion problems when making candles
Ive tried all the different things that I have read...
BGlowik
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™