Poison Ivy Soap ???

jan13April 6, 2007

Hi,

I am looking for a formula or advice on making poison ivy soap -- preferably with jewelweed.

Thanks, Jan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terri_pacnw

slipty slide..I replied to you on the first thread.

:>)

Bookmark   April 7, 2007 at 1:00AM
simplemary

Either yellow or spotted (orange) jewelweed will work. A couple of methods: first, just whizz the (well-washed) fresh plant, roots and all in the food processor & add the mook to the soap at trace. This will get all of the active components in the jewelweed in the soap but your soap will 1) look very "natural" & 2) probably rot in a few months. Second method: Make a tea out of the whole plant (a good handful per quart of water) & use this as your water portion to mix with the lye. If you must, add potassium hydroxide as a preservative. Don't water reduce with this method-- you want the max jewelweed tea you can get into the soap. Third, dry the plant & grind it really well into a powder-- if you don't grind it, it will scratch like h**l, which is not fun when you're already hurting. Then add 1TB/# or so to the soap at trace. I you are gearing up for summer, this is a better method, as your soap will be cured right around the first PI outbreak.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 11:04PM
simplemary

I said in an early thread to add potassium hydroxide as a preservative when using fresh jewelweed tea in soap. I mean POTASSIUM SORBATE. Sorry. Have soap on the brain.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 11:00PM
xhappyx

I have never preserved any herbs added to soap. For the very simple reason that once I stick the fresh herbs in my soap and hit it with the stick blender to form an herb/soap emulsion the alkalinity of the soap will keep the herbs from "rotting"in the soap. The soap dries out and viola! I have never had an issue with this and I have been making soap for over 15 years and had a shop. I have hundreds, if not thousands of big batches under my belt. The place you need to worry about preservatives is in cosmetics such as lotions, etc.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
soy candle wicking issues
I started making soy candles a few months ago. I am...
lorieru
Perfume for fragrance?
Hi there, Would anyone please be able to tell me if...
Littlek18
wax fruit
Hi! New here. I am new to candle making, and I was...
basil45
First time candle making, some advice please?
So I'm making candles for Christmas presents this year...
Cashmina
Candle newbie - problems topping off
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the candle making hobby, but...
mrbranden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™