RECIPE: Wanted: Southern Recipes...Low -fat, sugar-free

bowdoin514January 21, 2007

Hello,

At age 42, I have already had 2 heart attacks within the last 2 weeks, and am a long-time type II diabetic. I love the typical Southern foods (except fish!), and was wondering if anyone has recipes or a website that would inspire me. I know, Southern food without fat & sugar??!! Is there such a thing??!! I appreciate ANY help here!

Emma in SC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG__TX

All I can tell you is that there is no one more southern than me...I thought all all veggies tasted like bacaon fat or fat back....and I never ever believed that I would like any food except the true southern foods...but I started slowly and instead of one quater cup of bacon fat, I added less and less and one day I woke up and realised that all those veggies had a taste of their own.surprise surprise....just do it a little at a time....and try this website........I found it at the Special Diet forum..

Here is a link that might be useful: Healthy Foods

Bookmark   March 2, 2007 at 8:05PM
slowlane

Hi Emma--sorry to hear about your health problems, but congrats to you for deciding to change your diet and FIGHT BACK!

I skipped the heart attacks (*crosses fingers*) but was diagnosed with diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol 2 1/2 years ago. At first I tried just living like I always had (I'm a Mississippi girl :) and taking the meds, but I felt awful, so I started experimenting.

I bought a book called _Reversing Diabetes_, and it HAS reversed mine. I've lost 50 pounds and come off ALL my meds. You want high (complex) carbs and fiber, low fat and protien (hard on those kidneys!).

SOOO--I relearned to cook by taking a favorite food and playing with it. Cornbread? It's already whole grain (especially if you don't use the cornmeal "mix"), so use fat-free buttermilk in place of whole-fat regular milk and just spray your skillet with some olive oil in a spritzer. You'll still get the crispy crust, but with LOTS less bad stuff.

As Ruthieg says, go a bit at a time. Soon you'll not only automatically make the healthy changes, but you'll actually LIKE the food better.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Bookmark   March 19, 2007 at 6:00PM
RuthieG__TX

So how are you doing? I keep coming back to see if you have returned or commented...are you making the changes?

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Tyramine free diet
does anyone know of any tyramine free recipes, been...
cass
RECIPE: Lactose free lasagna recipe
Looking for one for my lactose-sensitive son. I have...
jewelisfabulous
RECIPE: bread spread recipe for diabetic
My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes, high...
marricgardens
RECIPE: Boulder Canyon Hummus/Sesame Chips
Looking for the big bag! Gluten free. NOT the 5oz size....
ilmbg
RECIPE: Nepro supplement for renal patients.
This was given to us from our local Renal Dietitian...
celtic_willow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™