Fabric Question

Debra1968September 18, 2013

I bought two different pieces of fabric today that I thought worked well together to make a skirt for my little niece. The one piece is cotton, the other polyester. I didn't realize the one was polyester until someone pointed it out to me.

The skirt is a tiered skirt. Does it matter if they are not both the same fabric? The one has an aqua background with red cherries, the other a red and white gingham. I love the combination as it looks very retro.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aqua Cherry Fabric

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dancingirl_gw

I would have no problem using the 2 together--it is only a little dress. But I would make sure the cotton is preshrunk before cutting & sewing, as it might cause a bit of a problem when washed. I just don't get angst over the "political correctness" of putting fabrics together if they are perfect for each other. JMOO (just my own opinion)

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 7:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Debra1968

Thank you very much for your reply. I always pre-wash and press the fabric before sewing anything. I just don't think I've ever put both fabrics into one project before so thought I had better ask for opinions.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
pls help, Brother needle bar question
Hi There, I bet this will be an easy fix for one of...
amandalynn
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
kathyg_in_mi
sewing curtain that has print on one side
I wanted to make curtain that have the print side on...
tropical_thought
Should I buy this old Singer?
... Can you tell me how I find when it was made? It's...
caroline94535
Cost estimate to shorten two curtains
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have...
vithdude
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™