1st try, no trace!

miscindyMarch 28, 2009

I tried my 1st cp batch today. 1st of all, I forgot to use distilled water. 2nd I used a scale that was not digital, but had .5 ounce markings. I used a 1# basic recipe with olive, coconut and superfatted with 1 TB castor oil. I stirred by hand for 45 minutes. The recipe said it should trace in 10-20 minutes. I got nothing!

After 45 minutes I poured it into the mold. Do you think it will turn out? Is there a way to save it? What do you think I did wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miscindy

Well, it appears to be turning into soap. I cut it into bars Monday and they seems to be getting drier and harder. I assume that's what I'm going for! :)

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 5:36PM
Brent

Hi miscindy,

I tried my 1st cp batch today. = Congrats!

1st of all, I forgot to use distilled water. = Unless your water is terrible (you wouldnÂt drink it without filtering) then you probably donÂt need distilled water.

2nd I used a scale that was not digital, but had .5 ounce markings.
This is probably the first mistake the new soapmakers do by not using a proper/accurate scale. The smaller the recipe, the more critical the measurements need to be. The spring scales are the worst; theyÂll measure different every time!

I used a 1# basic recipe with olive, coconut and superfatted with 1 TB castor oil.
Posting amounts of each ingredient, sometime helps if others check your numbers (I rarely check otherÂs recipe numbers).

I stirred by hand for 45 minutes. The recipe said it should trace in 10-20 minutes.
I got nothing!
= Go to a second-hand outlet and by yourself a Braun stick blender, and save your wrist.

After 45 minutes I poured it into the mold. Do you think it will turn out? Is there a way to save it? What do you think I did wrong?
It does take some experience with identifying trace, the soap has a (hard to explain look) and thickness to it when it comes to trace. The "look" comes before the feel/thickness.
Depending on what the soaper wants to do with the recipe, like splitting up the batch, sometimes Iding this early trace comes in handy.

Let your soap cure for a few weeks before using it, I know you want to try it; the longer the soap airs, the longer it will last you.

Check on the internet on how to do a "tongue test"; I did this test for probably the firstyear(?) when I first started making soap.

Let us know how you like your new found hobby.

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 1:21PM
simplemary

Tongue test: Lick it. If it zings your tongue, it's not ready. If it tastes like soap, it's ready. You WILL know if it zings your tongue. Rinse your mouth with vinegar afterwards to neutralize the zing.

Almost all soap is totally cured in 6 weeks. Err on the side of safety if you're not sure.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 1:24AM
More Discussions
Mega melter
I am selling my Mega Melter. I used to sell at shows...
Beth1803
Where to get pretty soap labels?
Hi, I was wondering where I could get some pretty soap...
sillymesillyne
Candle ignites. "Ooops!" batch question.
I wanted to make a larger batch of candles and apparently...
HVC2014
Adhesion problems when making candles
Ive tried all the different things that I have read...
BGlowik
First time candle making, some advice please?
So I'm making candles for Christmas presents this year...
Cashmina
Sponsored Products
Stilo 7 Bronze One-Light Mini Pendant with Garnet Glass
$234.00 | Bellacor
Coral Coast Bellagio 10 pc. Aluminum Sectional Sofa Set - Seats 8 - TTLC443
Hayneedle
Desk Lamps: 1-Light Desk Lamp Frost Glass Shade Blue Finish CLI-LS436461
$74.28 | Home Depot
'Peace' Box Sign
$10.99 | zulily
1/2-inch Fire Glass for Fire Pits - Starfire
$89.50 | FRONTGATE
GlideRite 1.125-inch Matte Black Classic Round Cabinet Knobs (Pack of 25)
Overstock.com
Uttermost Migiana 30" High Oxidized Nickel Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Area Rug: Blossom Camel/Multi 5' x 8'
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™