Door Hinges to loose

redrabbitDecember 19, 2005

How can I tighten up hinges so my doors will stay open ? These are 2 hinge interior doors. They just drift about half way shut.Do i need gunpowder or someone to chase ghosts away.or is there a simple answer ????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

The reason doors do this is usually because the house has settled and the doors are slightly out of plumb. They drift to where they find their center of gravity. One thing you can try is to remove each hinge pin, lay it on concrete, and give it a couple of whacks in the middle with a hammer to bend it slightly. Then pound it back into the hinge. This bend shouldn't interfere with the normal opening and closing of the door, but it will cause the hinge to have more friction and may prevent the door from swinging to another position by itself.

Bookmark   December 20, 2005 at 4:31AM
redrabbit

Thanks kudzu9 , I'll try that over the weekend, I'll let you know

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 10:35PM
kudzu9

RedRabbit-
Good luck. Hope that's adequate to do the job. Do let me know if it worked, when you have a moment.

Bookmark   December 22, 2005 at 2:34AM
Michael_H

Knurled hinge pins are also an easy solution.

I never thought about a bend in the pin. Great tip!

But first, make sure the top hinge screws are tight and inspect it for a previous shim. Sometimes, all you need to do is remove the shim that was placed there when the door frame was level..a long time ago.

Michael

Bookmark   December 22, 2005 at 6:19AM
redrabbit

Thanks again kudzu9 that worked great , my wife send's you a big kiss.. ( wish I could send her ) That's a real simple and easy fix..doing all my hinges now....

Bookmark   December 27, 2005 at 10:07PM
kudzu9

RedRabbit-
Thanks for the feedback. It's always good to know when some of my advice actually works!

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 7:47PM
Window_Guy

The hinge pin method does work well. One other thing to look at is your hinge screws. If they are all tight then pull the top one out of the top hinge on the frame side. Insert a 2.50" screw and drive it back into the jack stud. Ounce you get close to setting the screw in the hinge just tighten it ever so slightly. Don't torque it down at all. Just enough to feel the frame move over a bit. This will pull the door over and up. You may have to adjust it back and forth so the doors reveal looks correct and doesn't rub. This usually works 90% of the time for me. Just another idea!!

Bookmark   December 29, 2005 at 8:16AM
mike_in_kc

Putting a slight kink in hinge pins is a quick fix that usually works, but if you bend them a tad too much and pound them into the hinges, you'd better hope you never need to remove those pins in the future ... like to sand and/or paint the door or door frame!

Bookmark   December 29, 2005 at 2:22PM
beau-kins

Have tried to locate knurled hinge-pins to correct drifting interior doors. All the hardware stores do not stock these. Any suggestions where they might be located?

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Heating tool
Picked this for free at an estate sale. Wood burning,...
tim45z10
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
padfoot4768
Need advice for gap under door frame
Hi, We had a contractor install pre-hung interior doors,...
pam27d2001
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
Sponsored Products
Amerock Satin Nickel 3-Inch Pull Arch (Pack of 5)
Overstock.com
Stein World Johanna Cabinet
Beyond Stores
Vertical Rim Lock Set with Striped Brown Porcelain Knobs
Signature Hardware
39 Inch Glossy Red Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Courtyard Coco Monogrammed Door Mat - 18" x 30"
$39.00 | FRONTGATE
Cypress Conversation Table
Fifthroom.com
Uptown Theater Row Outdoor Wall Sconce by Quoizel