lace curtain struggle

panforcookingJuly 29, 2014

Hi all! i have been looking for some very plain lace curtains(thinking point d'esprit) to go under my lined yellow and blue curtains.

problem is, im trying to find lace like what my mother in law has, ive been reading and searching for months, and can not find anything like it! she bought them at least 20 years ago and cant remember where theyre from, and the tags are too worn to read!

im including a few pictures and hope you can see how this is different from what ive been finding, the embroidery is so simple, and the lace itself very....i dont know how to explain it! plain?
ive gotten a couple samples of cotton stuff(embroidered) and its just not the same, each hole is sort of like a web, not what im after. the curtains MIL has are practically transparent in day time but still offer privacy from the outside/far away and especially at night.

if you have any insight on where i can find something like this, but without flowers, please let me know!(she does have one extra panel in another room that is very similar and from penny's but all they offer is a floral print, my curtains have a very busy floral print so im looking for something very plain to go with!) thanks for any insight!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
panforcooking

this is up close, hope the pic quality does them justice, hoping you can see how open the lace is!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:40PM
cyn427 (zone 7)

Try Etsy store Hatched in France. She has similar items and will also do custom orders. I have three pairs of curtains I got from her and have been completely happy with them.

The type you show is often referred to as French filet lace and is crocheted. That may help in your search.

Here is a link that might be useful: French filet lace

This post was edited by cyn427 on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 14:53

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:46PM
panforcooking

this is one set of the windows i want the lace for, 36" panels so i dont have to fuss with the dang radiators haha! also dont mind the strange looking bird cage, got it foe $.25 and haven't decided what to do with it yet lol!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:52PM
bbstx

Try searching using the term "net curtains." I did a Google image search on that term and got lots of hits for places in the UK.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:56PM
panforcooking

thanks! i actually happened to follow them on twitter recently, haven't come across anything that stood out to me..perhaps im not browsing correctly lol!!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:58PM
panforcooking

thanks! i actually happened to follow them on twitter recently, haven't come across anything that stood out to me..perhaps im not browsing correctly lol!!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 3:06PM
panforcooking

ive been trying net curtains as well, haven't found anything that really hit me. :(

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 3:08PM
camlan

Country Curtains has a Point d'Esprit panel that I think has the openness that you want. However, it does not have the embroidery that your MIL's panel does.

Here is a link that might be useful: Point d'Esprit panel

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 3:10PM
panforcooking

but now im sort of wondering, maybe the way they photograph is throwing me off? what im looking for is in no way shiny and i actually wouldn't call them sheer. the net curtains ive been finding are like a voile but up close are lace...this is not that at all... maybe i can get a picture of hers during the day time soon.. i suppose im hoping for somebody to come along and know exactly what im talking about! MIL searched for years to find what she wanted, so im maybe being overly cautious? i feel like theres not a huge market for lace nowadays though and well i dont think it was huge 20 years ago either!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 3:12PM
panforcooking

i actually have gotten a sample of that from country curtains, a bit to big and stiff :( i love their bee embroidered stuff, and it would be cute with their flowers but its a bit too gauzy for me :(

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 3:22PM
1929Spanish

That fabric is embroidered tulle. Try searching on that.

Edited to add an example/link.

Here is a link that might be useful: White tulle lace embroidered

This post was edited by 1929Spanish on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 17:39

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 5:37PM
panforcooking

Thank you! That makes sense, i wouldnt have guessed by lookin at it, it has a nice soft draping look of cotton, and when i think tulle i think stiff tutus haha!

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:37AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Maybe look at scrim or bobbinette if you want just the unembroidered material.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 10:04AM
panforcooking

Thank you!

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 10:20PM
panforcooking

:/ still havent fou anything! Currently lookig through a magazing from '95 hoping to come across something. Haha!

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 6:20PM
lucillle

If you look at the close ups of these panels they are similar to what you have pictured but with no embroidery.

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 2:58AM
nosoccermom

Those IKEA curtains linked above are very soft and not shiny at all.

Here's a close up of the IKEA ones with the flowers, just to show you the netting.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:34AM
sweet_tea_

They remind me of panels from the Rue de France catalog, which sadly is no longer in business. However, you can still occasionally find their curtains on Ebay and Esty. I have come across similar panels at a website called Olde Worlde Lace, but I've not ordered anything from there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olde Worlde Lace

This post was edited by sweet-tea on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 17:32

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 12:43PM
panforcooking

I will look further into the ikea ones, thanks you two! I had chrcked ikea but only online and didnt see a close-up, the nearest store is 45" away (and in canada) so trips are few and far between!

I will look into rue de france for info a well thank you! I have checke out old world as well striking out of course ::

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 12:53AM
nosoccermom

Those IKEA curtains are super cheap (3.99 for two), so definitely not old world lace. Actually, if you zoom in on the one's lucille posted, you'll see that the netting is actually different from the flowery ones.

Also, see more images below.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA Lill lace curtains

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Broyhill lamps -- help!
A couple weeks ago I saw some lamps made by Broyhill...
tammy518
what is IKEA Stocksund?
IKEA Stocksund So, I found this sofa cover on the IKEA...
nosoccermom
Please Post Pics of your 5' wide floors or 3.25' wide floors
Please post pics of your 5" wide hardwood floors...
susanlynn2012
Help with window treatments
Hi, we put in new living room windows, and now I need...
marbelle21
Hardwood floors and adjoining room, help please
We are sanding and staining the wood in our living...
jtaime2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™