Can Rattan Live Outdoors?

aktillery9July 13, 2014

I have this little breakfast table (pictured on the right of the room) that I would like to place outside. It would be completely covered by covered porch. It is all rattan, except for the wicker backs of the chairs, which I recently replaced.

I am sure I would need to spray it with something to protect it and recover the seats in a sunbrella fabric.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maddielee

I know vintage rattan can.

my sister has a set on a covered screened in porch at her beach house. She bought it (used) over 20 years ago. The rattan parts are fine, she replaces the cushions when necessary, usually after a hurricane or tropical storm floods her porch.

ML

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 6:38PM
voila

It depends on your climate and how covered it is. Sun and rain are hard on upholstery. You need outdoor foam for the cushioned seats, as well as outdoor fabric. The bottom of the chairs must not be wood, so the foam can dry out. Is the tabletop wood? Wood is problematic, with swelling, rotting and loss of finish. The top would have to be glass or aluminum. On the other hand, if it is REALLY covered where it is not touched by rain or sun, it may be okay. Think of porches and screen rooms with rattan and wicker, and yes, even wood. It's such a cute set, I hope you can use it where you want to.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 6:41PM
aktillery9

Thanks Maddie and Viola!

It is probably a bit older. I bought it 8 years ago from CL.

It gets super hot here in Texas and not a lot of rain. The top of the table is wood and the bottoms of the chairs are just the cushion. I will have to try the suggestions and see if I can use it. When we move to our new house, I will have no place for it, except outside. Guess we will see.

Thanks again!
Amy

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:10AM
More Discussions
What do you have on your patio sliding doors??
I would like to change out my dated vertical blinds...
mary44
Best glass shower doors
Can someone recommend a good quality brand of glass...
sis2two
Paint Ceiling Trim/crown color or wall color?
I'm getting ready to repaint my LR/DR kitchen area....
CaroleOH
Living Room and Playroom colors
I need help picking colors. I have lived with beige...
April
Carriage House garage door with clay siding.
Hubby is finally ready to replace the garage and walk...
lodalady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™