Door repair question

rat423December 10, 2008

I have a door from my utility room to the garage that is very old and the area where the latch exits the door by the striker plate is cracked and impossible to secure the plate screws to.

The jamb at the striker plate was shot as well (looks like someone tried to kick the door in at some point).

I replaced the jamb and striker but I was wondering if there is a way to repair the door instead of replacing it?

I thought about making a metal sleeve the same width as the door that would slide over the area with a hole for the knob and the bolt. Does anything like this already exist or is there another repair method that would address this issue?

The door is a very nice solid core door so I would like to save it if possible.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

They certainly do make them. If you search for 'door security plate' or 'door security escutcheon plate' you will find them.

    Bookmark   December 11, 2008 at 8:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Dead Bolt Reinforcement or Lockset Reinforcement is another good search.

There are a number of them at

    Bookmark   December 12, 2008 at 3:45PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™