heming a wedding dress with train and needs a bustle

tina.nelsonSeptember 3, 2007

Hi, I have a simple wedding gown that is needing at least three inches taken off the bottom. It has spaghetti straps with three layers of material. the two layers of satin and one of chiffon/ plus It has a train with ruffles on the back. My question is when I pin to cutoff some of the length do I also take some of the length off of the train as well or should I leave it alone. it seemed to be one piece but I wasn't sure if I should just shorten the front and leave the back alone. I also have to bustle the back. Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quirkpod

The train wont need hemming, just hem the front. I am an experienced wedding dress seamstress. Email me. Bustles can be made easily from an alteration, if you are brave and willing to design it as you go. Anything goes in fashion today. Do what you think is pretty. Gather the bustle up and hand stitch it min place. I can help. Robin in NC.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 7:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
evaf555

Usually the bustle is formed first and safety pinned in place, then the front and sides are pinned to blend in with the back.

Sometimes I find that pulling the sides slightly back and up into the bustle, I end up doing less hemming of the sides.

Bookmark   September 5, 2007 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
Help me pick: Brother xl3750 or Singer 4423?
I'd like to get into some sewing projects, I did some...
williamsem
oval cape
I recently saw a BEAUTIFUL cape made of oatmeal sherpa...
mommalin
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
lsst
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
kathyg_in_mi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™