molly bolts in drywall

homeboundDecember 8, 2012

I needed to hang a 30 lb wood-framed mirror on drywall with those dang keyhole hanging slots. No room for error. No studs in the location where the hangers needed to be. So I ended up using molly bolts. I had not realized until today that there's a little flat "wrench" to hold the molly head (when using it in drywall) while you tighten it. Cost me 24 cents at my trusty old-school hardware store.

Did any of you guys also know about this little "wrench" gizmo? Seems to be a very well-kept secret.

This post was edited by homebound on Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 20:59

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I know there is a "setting tool" that works like a pop-rivet gun to expand the molly without rotational force. I've never heard of a special "wrench".

Can you post a picture of your wrench?

    Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 10:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sure, I'll post it later. I probably should call it a tool instead. It basically holds against the flange teeth while you first tighten it so the whole thing doesn't spin.

    Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 11:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The wrench used to (ad sometimes still does) come if you purchase boxes of 100 bolts at a time.

The setting tool is far better and usually under $15.

One pull of the lever and the bolt is expanded in place.

    Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 12:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Probably too late, but you don't have to use the keyhole hanging slots. You could use a French cleat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hangman french cleat

    Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 3:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I considered a french cleat, but it wouldn't work in this case. The mirror frame was concave due to leaning on the wall over a mantel for years (and I didn't really want to drill into the old wood).

Basically I extended the molly screws out about 3/8" inch to reach the keyholes to make it appear to hang plumb overall. This was tricky also because I had an interior designer of 35 yrs experience in the room at the time.

    Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 5:30PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™