Sleeves keep me from raising my arms

joandjennySeptember 1, 2007

The sleeves on the garment look great but I can not raise my arms. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Jenny Burroughs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krissie55

To avoid this problem I prefer to leave the bodice side seam open and then stitch the open sleeve to the open armhole. Clipping armhole seam will also help.

Bookmark   September 1, 2007 at 5:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darndogs

You need a gusset! Some shirt patterns include an extra gusset piece, some have added to the underarm portion of the pattern, and I suspect yours has none. But it's an easy pattern alteration. I saw it on Susan Kaljhe's show once.

Its an easy alteration. Set you sleeve pattern before you, with the cap at the top and the cuff at the bottom. Basicaly, you want to extend the ends of the cap outwards, so you are extending the width of the sleeve. Extend maybe 3/4 inch on either side. Then use a straight line to blend these new points into the sleeve lines. Finally, you need to reduce the overall height of you sleeve cap so that the perimeter of the cap is the same as the original. Otherwise you'll just add in more ease.

If you'd like a sketch of this just e-mail me at debrabrun@yahoo.com. It's ingenious and I use it for aal my sleeves - and my shirts don't lift anymore!

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
Should I buy this old Singer?
... Can you tell me how I find when it was made? It's...
caroline94535
sewing curtain that has print on one side
I wanted to make curtain that have the print side on...
tropical_thought
Singer Inspiration 4210 Feed Dogs do not move
I have a new Singer Inspiration 4210 that I bought...
MaterialGirl47
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™