How to anchor scent?

christinahFebruary 10, 2007

I've been making this great peppermint soap, but am having trouble anchoring the scent. It basically dissipates after a month's time, which is disappointing. I am using just peppermint essential oil.

Any tips for me?

I've considered combining it with a fixative like vetiver or balsam of peru, but am concerned that these will taint the peppermint scent.

The other thing I'm considering is combining it with peppermint fragrance oil, to fix the scent.

What do you guys recommend?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terri_pacnw

You certainly could add some Peppermint FO...
I'm not sure what one would use to anchor Peppermint that would compliment it...
Okay did a little search. Anne Marie at Brambleberry, says that you have to find the right Peppermint EO..that some are better at staying than others..

and then I found this on a site.

Scents to "blend" with Peppermint.

Blends With: Lavender, Tea Tree, Camphor, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Anise, Eucalyptus, all citrus oils, other mints and Vanilla.

Bookmark   February 14, 2007 at 9:35PM
Brent

Yikes! I can't believe that you are having problems with peppermint EO staying. The Peppermint that I have used (from FPI in Vancouver) has staying power plus! I have used this at 1/2 of an ounce per pound of oils in CP. If you want send me an E mail through this site, describing your methodology if you like.

Bookmark   February 15, 2007 at 12:16AM
Brent

Hi Christina,
Second thought, post your recipe here, and let's have a look at it?

The observation that the peppermint EO is inferior is highly probable. I have had very good luck with this one from FPI.

Peppermint with vanilla is good; think candy cane, but the vanilla will disscolour the soap somewhat, depending on how much vanilla you use.

Finding a good peppermint, if you continue with this scent is a far better option, then using an anchor.

How much of this EO did you buy, and how much soap ar you making?

hth

Bookmark   February 15, 2007 at 6:08PM
christinah

Hi, I've been using the Aura Cacia brand of Peppermint EO that you can buy at Wild Oats and Whole Foods.

The first time I made Peppermint soap, I used 1/4 oz (vol) for 3.5 lbs (wt) of CP soap. The second time I made it, I used 1/2 oz (vol) for 3.5 lb (wt) of CP soap.

Sorry for the inconsistencies in units of measure, but I don't have a scale small enough to weigh out small quantities of fragrance.

With the second batch, the scent has stayed a lot better, but I'm hoping to improve on the scent even further. Am I just not adding enough to my soap to make it stay?

I've also added oatmeal in the recipe. Do you think that acts as a scent fixative somewhat?

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 10:53AM
Brent

Hi,

"The first time I made Peppermint soap, I used 1/4 oz (vol) for 3.5 lbs (wt) of CP soap. "

I measure the scent and the weight of the oils, just like you have above. The only exception is that I would have used approximately 1 ¾ oz. (Vol.) of scent

"The second time I made it, I used 1/2 oz (vol) for 3.5 lb (wt) of
CP soap. "

You have to follow your nose. You may like a weaker fragrance than I; but if if you are after a strong fragrance with staying power, then, more will have to be added.
May I suggest starting at .3 oz. (Vol.) per pound of oils. = approximately 1 oz. (Vol.).

This amount of scent will only work for a quite strong scent, some spice Eos will also follow the above senereos.
If you had of used a weak EO, like most citrus EOs, you probably wouldnÂt even know if you added scent at all, especially after the curing time.

hth

Bookmark   March 6, 2007 at 6:06PM
simplemary

Hi. I anchor scents by mixing with jojoba before incorporating into the soap. Peppermint has a really low flash point, so a lot of it disappears as the soap does its gel phase thing, so I tend to add more of it than I think I want. I have had it stay in CP soap for over a year, but it becomes very mild. I do a lot of HP, too, and I have to cool the soap down to below 120 before adding the eo/jojoba mix, which is tiresome and sometimes tough to blend entirely & then get smooth in the molds, but the scent REALLY stays then. One of my fave blends of all time is peppermint, patchouli & vanilla-- all eos (vanilla is an oleoresin)-- in equal portions. Just luscious.

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
soy candles
Has anyone used coconut oil in soy candles? I read...
busyhummingbird68
Where to get pretty soap labels?
Hi, I was wondering where I could get some pretty soap...
sillymesillyne
New pouring/melting pot discoloration
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and candle making. I...
BeHappy1
making candles from old wax?
I am sure many have done this already. Few questions....
bertman_gw
wax fruit
Hi! New here. I am new to candle making, and I was...
basil45
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™