Dragonfly Soap w/photo

Jill_NCFebruary 15, 2003

This is a Milkway Mold that I picked up, when I first started soaping, on clearance at WSS. I had grand plans of painting on the design...but that didn't work...at all. Then I thought I'd just pour different colored soap into the various parts of the design--besides not being able to find non-migrating dyes that would work---it seemed like a real PITA. Then I remembered seeing soaps done over at FineArtMolds.Com and how they were done resembling a cameo. I thought maybe that'd work okay.

Pouring the hot, opaque base was tougher than I thought. I used a pipette and that helped some...but I figured I could just scrape out the overpour. In theory it may have worked, but not in "real" life. Then I figured the warmth of the overpour would melt the little specs of white base that were left---that didn't happen either. Then there are a couple of bubbles that you can see at the bottom of the design in the white part. The overpour was clear base colored w/blue mica powder. I was glad to see that the mica clouded up the clear because I didn't want to be able to see through it. I'd thought about adding a chunk of white, but decided against it--glad I did.

Anyway--that's how it came out. Not bad for the first try and something I might try again - but not while trying to cook DS's mac 'n cheese lunch while he's trying to get into the garbage! LOL! And y'all will be happy to hear that I finally got this bar to smell good!

Jill

ps...if you have any other ideas on how to pour this soap bar--please share! This is THE LAST "fancy" mold I'm ever buying! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hazel_SC

Jill,
That came out GREAT! the flaws WE soapmakers see are usually UNNOTICABLE to everyone else!
Ya did a good job girl!

Hazel

Bookmark   February 15, 2003 at 4:55PM
tanner2135

I think it looks just fine, Jill. The "flaws" you mentioned aren't flaws, it's called character and uniqueness. You are way too hard on yourself!

Honestly, I would be THRILLED to get such a beautiful bar of soap, so if you don't like, I'll gladly give you my address. *nudge nudge* ;o)

Andrea

Bookmark   February 15, 2003 at 5:24PM
Jill_NC

(blushing) -- thx girls! I was pretty pleased with the way they came out (made 2). Learned some stuff too! At least I didn't add to the scrap pile.

Andrea--I hear, from a little birdy, that you have LOTS of soap to make (or at least the supplies to do it)!

Is there any other way I could *make* this bar of soap w/out doing the cameo thing?

J

Bookmark   February 15, 2003 at 6:38PM
sandra_d

Jill, it's beautiful!! Yes, you are too hard on yourself.
What scent did you use? Sandra

Bookmark   February 15, 2003 at 8:54PM
Jill_NC

Sandra--I was gifted a scent called "Butterfly Kisses" and I used that.

Bookmark   February 15, 2003 at 8:56PM
NorthEastStepMom

I love it! I had my eye on that mold too but I didn't get it. I'll have to place another order now!

Bookmark   February 15, 2003 at 9:08PM
tanner2135

LOL...yes, I have plenty of base now, thanks to our "little birdy"! You'll be glad to know that my poor car is 100 pounds lighter now. =)

So if not the cameo look, what're you looking for? Dark dragonfly on light background? Try your tie-dye design...I bet that would look pretty cool. Additives maybe?

Sorry, I'm terribly uncreative so not much help there.
Andrea

Bookmark   February 15, 2003 at 11:09PM
lazy_gardens

Jill -
You just need to make more of them to work the bugs out of the process.

Bookmark   February 16, 2003 at 10:12AM
pistil

I can't see anything wrong with it - I think it looks mahvelous dahling, just mahvelous!!!

Bookmark   February 16, 2003 at 6:23PM
magimay

Flaws, what flaws? They look absolutely perfect to me. I fall prey to that self-depreciating behavior too. We need therapy. LOL! Seriously - Great job!

Magi

Bookmark   February 16, 2003 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
First time candle making, some advice please?
So I'm making candles for Christmas presents this year...
Cashmina
Can I make soap using lotion?
Does anyone know if I can use hand lotion to make soap?...
maisienell
making candles from old wax?
I am sure many have done this already. Few questions....
bertman_gw
Hot process soap is soft
It's a beautiful soap but it is soft just out of the...
jbander
Perfume for fragrance?
Hi there, Would anyone please be able to tell me if...
Littlek18
Sponsored Products
Capri Dark Granite One Light Wall Sconce with 7-Inch Italian Ice Glass
$107.80 | Bellacor
Satco 35W Lensed MR16 Halogen Bulb - GU5.3/GX5.3 Base, 12V
LBC Lighting
Safavieh Noho Grey Bar 30-inch Stool
Overstock.com
Economy Exposed Outdoor/Indoor Shower Unit
Signature Hardware
Rounded Tall Frosted Crystal Glass Soap Dispenser
TheBathOutlet