insurance

kjduncFebruary 9, 2009

I am just considering selling my lotions and oils at a local market(renting a table kind of thing). My mom is in insurance and insists that I need to get product liability insurance. Any comments on this? Is it really necessary at my level?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
simplemary

Some markets require proof of insurance-- usually they mean general liability ("slip and fall" insurance) in case someone injures themselves at your booth. This can be added on to your homeowner's insurance as a rider for virtually nothing.

Product liability ("eat it and die" insurance) is an entirely different type of insurance, averaging between $400 & $1000/yr US. Larger shows usually require proof of this. (and if you wholesale, you definitely want to have it as a standard "good business" practice). It would cover injury to a person due to having used your product. How much you need it is really up to how much risk you're willing to assume with your product-- personally, I would want to assume zero because I don't know (1) if a person will be sensitive or allergic to an ingredient I've used, (2) how bad that reaction might be (minor discomfort or life-threatening) or (3) how litiginous said person might be.

That said, how much of a "business" is this market going to be? Will you make up the cost of the insurance? (you do have to renew it every year.) There is no question that small business have a huge struggle with these "administrative" costs and sometimes we end up taking the risks & hope nothing happens until we can afford to do everything "right".

Unfortunately, this is all your call. Good luck.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Mega melter
I am selling my Mega Melter. I used to sell at shows...
Beth1803
FO similar to Yankee Candle Yankee True Rose
I absolutely love the "discontinued" fragrance...
monica33flowers
Can I make soap using lotion?
Does anyone know if I can use hand lotion to make soap?...
maisienell
Catalytic Effusion Lamp
Anyone know what these are? I have just bought one...
leearnold
Homemade bubble bath?
I was wondering if anyone has made any homemade bubble...
sandylaine
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™